Teenage driver critically injured in link road crash
Road shut for several hours following tea-time collision.
A TEENAGER is in a critical condition in hospital following a car crash on the A361 North Devon Link Road yesterday evening (Thursday).
The 18-year-old local man was driving a silver Renault Clio when it collided with a white VW Transporter van between Aller Cross and West Buckland shortly before 6pm.
The van driver was also taken to North Devon District Hospital with a possible fractured sternum and whiplash injuries.
An off duty special constable stopped to assist and managed to put out a small fire in the Renault with a hand held fire extinguisher.
You may also want to watch:
An eyewitness travelling two cars behind the incident told the Gazette: “All I saw was flying debris in front of me and we all skidded to a halt.
“I went over to see if everyone was alright or if they needed help but there were a few people there already helping.
- 1 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 2 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 3 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 4 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 5 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 6 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 7 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 8 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
“The police arrived very quickly as did the fire brigade and ambulance.”
The road was closed for seven-and-a-half hours while collision investigators completed their investigation and local diversions were put in place.
Police are appealing for any witnesses to contact them on 101 quoting reference 611 070612.