Teenage driver critically injured in link road crash
Road shut for several hours following tea-time collision.
A TEENAGER is in a critical condition in hospital following a car crash on the A361 North Devon Link Road yesterday evening (Thursday).
The 18-year-old local man was driving a silver Renault Clio when it collided with a white VW Transporter van between Aller Cross and West Buckland shortly before 6pm.
The van driver was also taken to North Devon District Hospital with a possible fractured sternum and whiplash injuries.
An off duty special constable stopped to assist and managed to put out a small fire in the Renault with a hand held fire extinguisher.
You may also want to watch:
An eyewitness travelling two cars behind the incident told the Gazette: “All I saw was flying debris in front of me and we all skidded to a halt.
“I went over to see if everyone was alright or if they needed help but there were a few people there already helping.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 4 Candidates for police and crime commissioner have their say
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 7 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 8 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 9 Ilfracombe Drive-In Cinema returns this May
- 10 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
“The police arrived very quickly as did the fire brigade and ambulance.”
The road was closed for seven-and-a-half hours while collision investigators completed their investigation and local diversions were put in place.
Police are appealing for any witnesses to contact them on 101 quoting reference 611 070612.