Police warning as boy, 15, dies in Ilfracombe after taking a suspected recreational drug
A 15-year-old boy has died after suspected drug taking at an Ilfracombe youth disco.
Police said they were informed on Saturday morning the teenager had been admitted to North Devon District Hospital and died in the early hours of the morning.
His next of kin have been informed and local enquiries are under way.
Police said he had taken what he thought to be MDMA (Ecstasy).
New cocktail bar Vivid had been hosting an over 16s night, with no alcohol on sale, on Friday.
A post on the club Facebook page said ‘Due to circumstances that developed overnight, Vivid will be closed for the rest of the bank holiday weekend’.
Two young adults were also admitted to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth after taking what they thought was MDMA at a house party. Both remain in hospital and one is listed as serious.
Police said at this time they couldn’t be sure if these incidents are linked, or if there is particular tainted batch of recreational drugs in circulation.
People have been urged by police to think twice before taking any unknown substance.
They said: “There is always a risk when taking drugs and the only way of staying safe is to avoid drugs altogether.”
Anyone with any information about the incident can contact the police on 101 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information can also be passed anonymously to independent Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111 or reporting online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.
For advice on drugs and the possible risks posed, head to www.TalkToFrank.com.