Teaming up to tackle Ilfracombe’s messy seagulls
Councils and Transform join forces to help prevent birds ripping up rubbish bags on refuse collection day.
STREET wardens are hoping to recruit Ilfracombe residents as part of the ongoing battle with seagulls and rubbish.
From this Thursday (April 21) representatives from North Devon Council, Transform and Ilfracombe Town Council will be taking to the streets every Thursday evening in the coming weeks.
To prevent seagulls ripping up bags and scattering rubbish, they will be reminding residents of the need to put refuse out on collection day only and ideally to cover their bags with a blanket or sheet to stop the birds attacking them.
Another approach to tackling the seagull menace is a successful pilot project rolled out by Transform with assistance from the Ilfracombe Street Reps. The stainless steel GullGards are fixed to outside walls and contain strong nylon bags which can take up to three rubbish bags.
You may also want to watch:
“Over the past few months we have been talking to residents in the worst affected areas discussing ways to stop seagulls attacking bags and causing litter to cascade through the town,” said Rex Bassett, North Devon Council’s service manager for refuse and recycling.
“We will now be continuing that work with our partners talking to as many residents as we can. Ultimately we are asking people to help us to keep Ilfracombe a clean and tidy town.”
- 1 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 2 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 3 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 4 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 7 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 8 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
The GullGards are available from Transform at a discounted cost of �12.50. For more information call (01271) 867131.