‘Tardis’ community shop reopens
- Credit: Archant
West Down marks the refurbishment of its popular shop with a community celebration.
PARISHIONERS and supporters turned out in force to celebrate the refurbishment of the West Down Community Shop.
Thanks to a Village SOS grant through the Big Lottery, the shop now has new shelves, chiller cabinets, fridges and freezers plus updated electrical cabling and lighting.
It opened in December in the premises of the former Village Stores, whose owner had retired and now following its refurbishment visitors have already commented how ‘Tardis-like’ and roomy it is inside.
The official reopening was carried out by County Councillor Andrea Davis, followed by community events and activities to mark the occasion.
A new emergency community defibrillator is to be available in the shop porch, 24 hours a day, following a grant by Mrs Davis, together with a donation from Barnstaple Rotary Club Shop, to West Down Parish Council.
- 1 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
- 2 Remembering much-loved and once-heaving Ilfracombe train station
- 3 Covid outbreaks in Devon’s care homes at highest level since pandemic began
- 4 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 5 Stylish Victorian property offers many period features
- 6 Queen's Theatre panto audiences raise £3,200 for local charities
- 7 South Molton's top 10 rating for pannier market
- 8 Help turn tide with Appledore community film
- 9 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 10 Those energy bills - what has gone wrong?