Tantons Hotel in Bideford goes under the hammer
- Credit: Archant
Bideford hotel which has stood vacant since major fire in 2011 goes up for auction this month.
A HISTORIC hotel in Bideford which has stood vacant since a major fire in June 2011 will be going under the hammer this month.
In December, the Gazette revealed the former Tantons Hotel in New Road was going up for sale.
But now the hotel is being put up for auction with a freehold guide price of £65,000 to £100,000 with development potential.
Scott Gray, auctioneer and regular on BBC’s Homes Under The Hammer, said: “This is a substantial and iconic building with vast potential.
“It is in a prime position in the town centre occupying a large swathe of the riverside.
You may also want to watch:
“The sheer size and scale of this former hotel, which has undergone partial refreshment works, will surely offer graphic scope and potential for a variety of commercial or residential development schemes subject to the necessary consents being gained.”
Since the 2011 fire, the Grade II listed property has been boarded up with sales details claiming it needs ‘extensive renovation and refurbishment throughout’.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 9 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
Starting at 11am, the second of Clive Emson’s eight regional auctions in 2014 takes place at the St Mellion International Resort, St Mellion, Cornwall, on Thursday, March 27.