Tantons Hotel goes up for sale in Bideford
- Credit: Archant
The prominent hotel has stood vacant on Bideford Quay since the fire in June 2011, but is now for sale.
AN historic hotel in Bideford which has stood vacant since a major fire in June 2011 has been put up for sale.
The 53-bedroom Tantons Hotel has come under new instruction with Plymouth-based agents Huntley & Partners at a price guide of £300,000 - £400,000.
Since the fire the Grade II listed property on the Quay has been boarded up, with the details claiming it needs ‘extensive renovation and refurbishment throughout’.
The listing also claims the building, which is ‘one of Bideford’s most famous and well known landmarks’, could be sold as two separate units.
You may also want to watch:
The agents state the hotel reported a turnover of around £700,000 and could be re-established, or redeveloped into accommodation subject to planning consents.
Paul Goss, of Huntley & Partners, told the Gazette: “It’s only been under instruction about a fortnight.
- 1 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 2 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 3 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 4 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 5 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 6 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 7 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Plans to demolish and redevelop Barnstaple Civic Centre finally submitted
- 10 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
“We’ve had some general interest from people who have seen the boards.
“But we’ve also had some interest from developers and existing hoteliers and are hoping to arrange some viewings this week.”
During the fire, three guests had to be rescued from the roof, while 60 fire fighters battled the flames which burned through floors and ceilings.
Owner Chescombe Limited was fined £40,000 in September 2012 after pleading guilty to breaching fire regulations.
It is understood renovation began on the building after the fire but this work was never finished.
The building also features a restaurant, extensive bar and function facilities.