Tall ship 'ahoy' at Clovelly
LANDLUBBERS are being invited to explore what is being billed as the ultimate pirate ship at Clovelly later this month. Having recently returned from the Caribbean, tall ship the T S Pelican of London will sail into North Devon waters on Tuesday, June 2
LANDLUBBERS are being invited to explore what is being billed as "the ultimate" pirate ship at Clovelly later this month.
Having recently returned from the Caribbean, tall ship the T S Pelican of London will sail into North Devon waters on Tuesday, June 23. She will be anchored in the picturesque seaside village harbour from 10 to 4pm, weather permitting.
Visitors will be able to come aboard and see the whole ship, both on and below deck. They will even be able to try their hand at bends, hitches and bracing the yards under the guidance of the crew.
The Pelican's rig - masts and sails - is based on the Barbary Coast Xebec-style ships, for 200 years the most successful pirate ships of the Mediterranean.
Originally French built and completed in 1948 to work in the Arctic as a double beam trawler she was named "le Pelican".
After 20 years she was sold to Norway, converted to a coaster and renamed "Kadett". Now nearly 40 years on, following a complete rebuild in Portland in Dorset, she sails again as "Pelican", this time uniquely rigged as a main mast barquentine setting 11 sails on three pole masts.
- 1 Indecent exposure near Barnstaple park under investigation
- 2 Christmas Drive-In Cinema coming to Barnstaple
- 3 OPINION: Myth busting the Green Lanes purchase - David Worden
- 4 Hero soldier auctioning medals to provide ‘best opportunities’ for his children
- 5 Property of the Week: Hanson Park - Northam
- 6 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 7 OPINION: Realising the full potential of the Celtic Sea - Selaine Saxby
- 8 Police seek owner of bike found after car stolen in Barnstaple
- 9 OPINION: Channel your inner Wim Hof in Saunton this weekend
- 10 Hip-hop comes to Torrington Dental Practice
Tickets will be available on the day at Clovelly harbour priced �5 per person or �15 per family of two adults and two children (aged five-16), and are inclusive of ferrying to and from the ship. A buffet lunch and drinks will be available on board for an extra charge.
For more information about the ship, visit www.adventureundersail.com or telephone (01288) 331188.