Tales from African adventure at evening in aid of the Hospice
- Credit: Archant
Charity motorcyclist Russell Johns promises guest speakers, laughs, and a live trip to Sudan at the evening in March.
AN intrepid explorer whose charity motorcycle trip from Barnstaple to Cape Town was cut short by a collision will be talking about his journey next month.
Russell Johns, 33 from Bideford, was days from completing his trip when he was knocked off his bike by a rogue lorry in the Zambian capital of Lusaka.
On March 8 he’ll be hosting an evening at the Royal Hotel in Bideford telling stories from his 12,000 mile trip for the North Devon Hospice.
“The evening is about raising awareness for the North Devon Hospice whilst promoting general awareness of hospice care through Africa,” said Russell.
You may also want to watch:
“The evening will be a mix of speakers, media footage and lots of laughs from comedy stories from the epic bike ride through Africa.”
Russell has lined up several guest speakers, included Esther Walker MBE, the founder of Hospice Care in Sudan, and Kate Jackson representing Help the Hospices, London.
- 1 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 4 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 7 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 8 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 9 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
There will also be a live link set up with Dr Nahla Gafer in Khartoum, Sudan, in one of the partner hospices there.
Guests will receive a ‘donate an item’ request on the back of their ticket, and all items will be presented to the hospice in Sudan.
The evening opens at 7pm for a 7.30pm start; tickets cost £5 in aid of the North Devon Hospice and are limited to 200 seats.
To purchase a ticket call Emma Lowe at the Hospice on 01271 347213 or Russell on 07779 639793.