TA taster gives Luke, 18, a taste of Army life
- Credit: Archant
Student enjoys day of drills with local reservists.
YOUNG people from North Devon have been getting a taste of what life is like in the Armed Forces during a day of drills and assault courses organised by the Territorial Army unit.
Around 150 students from eight colleges across the South West took part in the taster day held at Wyvern Barracks in Exeter.
Petroc student, Luke Hynes was among those who were pushed to the limit, both mentally and physically, by soldiers from 6th Battalion the Rifles.
Luke, 18, from Barnstaple, also got the chance to chat with TA soldiers and learn more about careers in the British Army.
He said: “It was a lot of fun with a range of different activities to get involved in. I especially enjoyed the team challenge, which was all about using good leadership skills and working as a group to complete the task in the fastest time.
“I would like to go into a career that requires keeping fit and team work so it was great to experience what the Army has to offer.”
- 1 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 2 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 3 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 4 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 5 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 6 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 7 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 8 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 9 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 10 Superb win on the road sets 2022 tone for Bideford
Captain Barnes, Permanent Staff Admin Officer at B Company in Taunton, said: “We want to show these youngsters what the TA has to offer them and give a first-hand account of what life as a soldier in the British Army is really like.”
For information about TA recruitment in the South West, telephone 0800 220953 or visit www.wessexrfca.co.uk