TA taster gives Luke, 18, a taste of Army life
- Credit: Archant
Student enjoys day of drills with local reservists.
YOUNG people from North Devon have been getting a taste of what life is like in the Armed Forces during a day of drills and assault courses organised by the Territorial Army unit.
Around 150 students from eight colleges across the South West took part in the taster day held at Wyvern Barracks in Exeter.
Petroc student, Luke Hynes was among those who were pushed to the limit, both mentally and physically, by soldiers from 6th Battalion the Rifles.
Luke, 18, from Barnstaple, also got the chance to chat with TA soldiers and learn more about careers in the British Army.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “It was a lot of fun with a range of different activities to get involved in. I especially enjoyed the team challenge, which was all about using good leadership skills and working as a group to complete the task in the fastest time.
“I would like to go into a career that requires keeping fit and team work so it was great to experience what the Army has to offer.”
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 7 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 8 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
Captain Barnes, Permanent Staff Admin Officer at B Company in Taunton, said: “We want to show these youngsters what the TA has to offer them and give a first-hand account of what life as a soldier in the British Army is really like.”
For information about TA recruitment in the South West, telephone 0800 220953 or visit www.wessexrfca.co.uk