Swine flu jabs for under-fives under way in Devon
SWINE flu vaccinations of under-fives is under way in Devon. GPs throughout the county have started vaccinating young children against swine flu and health leaders have urged parents to ensure their children get protected, saying the virus has not gone aw
SWINE flu vaccinations of under-fives is under way in Devon.
GPs throughout the county have started vaccinating young children against swine flu and health leaders have urged parents to ensure their children get protected, saying the virus has not gone away.
Children over six months and under five are being offered the swine flu jab as part of the national vaccination programme.
In Devon, all GP practices have said they want to be involved and they will be writing to parents of young children in the days and weeks ahead inviting them to attend a clinic or book an appointment.
You may also want to watch:
Dr Virginia Pearson, director of public health for NHS Devon, said: "Overall, the numbers of people catching swine flu have been falling and this is good news. However, the data shows that young children who do catch swine flu are more likely than healthy people in other age groups to develop serious complications. Swine flu is still around. We are lucky in this pandemic that a vaccine has been available so early on and it's really important that parents take up the opportunity to keep their children safe from the virus."
Dr Pearson said parents do not need to take any action, but will be contacted by their GP surgeries.
- 1 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 2 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 3 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 4 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 5 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 6 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
- 7 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 8 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
- 9 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 10 New series of Devon and Cornwall focuses on the Ilfracombe coastline