Swine flu jabs for under-fives under way in Devon
SWINE flu vaccinations of under-fives is under way in Devon. GPs throughout the county have started vaccinating young children against swine flu and health leaders have urged parents to ensure their children get protected, saying the virus has not gone aw
SWINE flu vaccinations of under-fives is under way in Devon.
GPs throughout the county have started vaccinating young children against swine flu and health leaders have urged parents to ensure their children get protected, saying the virus has not gone away.
Children over six months and under five are being offered the swine flu jab as part of the national vaccination programme.
In Devon, all GP practices have said they want to be involved and they will be writing to parents of young children in the days and weeks ahead inviting them to attend a clinic or book an appointment.
You may also want to watch:
Dr Virginia Pearson, director of public health for NHS Devon, said: "Overall, the numbers of people catching swine flu have been falling and this is good news. However, the data shows that young children who do catch swine flu are more likely than healthy people in other age groups to develop serious complications. Swine flu is still around. We are lucky in this pandemic that a vaccine has been available so early on and it's really important that parents take up the opportunity to keep their children safe from the virus."
Dr Pearson said parents do not need to take any action, but will be contacted by their GP surgeries.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 5 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 6 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 7 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 10 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land