Swastikas scratched on family car
SWASTIKAS have twice been scratched into the bodywork of a Barnstaple family’s car in incidents nearly six weeks apart.
Police are appealing for information to identify those responsible for damaging the red Citroen Berlingo in Coronation Street, close to the town centre.
In the first incident overnight on November 27/28 a Swastika sign was scratched on the bonnet. It was attacked again overnight on January 3/4 when a Swastika sign was again scratched on the vehicle.
Police said both of these offences were being treated very seriously and were being investigated by the Barnstaple neighbourhood beat team. The family were at a loss why this had been done and had been caused great distress by the damage.
At this time it was not felt that the Swastikas were racially motivated towards the victim, they said.
You may also want to watch:
Sergeant Paul Jones, neighbourhood team leader for Barnstaple town centre, said: “This damage is not only illegal, but has had a dramatic effect on the owners of the car, who live in what is normally a quiet family street. We are appealing for anyone who may have knowledge of either of these incidents to contact us in confidence.”
This type of damage was not a common occurrence in Barnstaple and officers were confident that someone may have witnessed the incidents or have been with those responsible, he said.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 4 Staff at Wimpy Barnstaple receive special bonus
- 5 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby receives parliamentary promotion
- 7 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 8 Dignitaries formally open Penrose Almshouses in Barnstaple
- 9 Mercy for Lynton farm shop keeper who grew cannabis
- 10 Extinction Rebellion celebrate Big Green Week in Barnstaple
Anyone with information is asked to contact PC 5895 Hodgson at Barnstaple Police Station on 08452 777 444, quoting crime number CB/11/40.