Suspected arson at Wilkinson’s Barnstaple store
- Credit: Archant
Three young people being spoken to to by police following evacuation of the store in Barnstaple on Saturday.
POLICE are speaking to three young men following a suspected arson attack in the Wilkinson’s store in Barnstaple on Saturday.
The Green Lanes shop was evacuated at around 4pm after five youths were reported to have entered the shop and started a fire in the pet aisle.
A female member of staff spotted the fire and after evacuating the customers staff members quickly put the fire out using fire extinguishers.
PCSO Hannah Denton praised the actions of the staff and said it could have been a lot worse had they not reacted so quickly.
You may also want to watch:
Police confirmed of the young people is currently in custody and another two are being interviewed by police this afternoon.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 5 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 8 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 9 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 10 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley