Surf museum’s appeal for old holiday guides
Do you own any holiday guides like this from the North Devon area?
A SURF museum opening in April is appealing for help to track down old holiday guides and those who helped compile them.
The Museum of British Surfing’s long-awaited first exhibition, ‘The Art of Surfing’, will open April 6 and include a display of the retro guides.
Pete Robinson, founder and director of the museum, said: “We have several old guidebooks for Braunton, Woolacombe and Mortehoe, some of which date back to the 1930s.
“The most recent ones we have are from the 1960s and as well as being a part of surfing history with old photographs of people on their belly boards on the beach, they also are an important aspect of local life.
“I am sure there are more of these out there, and I would love it if anyone who owned any similar guides or was involved in publishing them would come forward and share them with us.
“I also hope we can use the front cover designs to create post cards and souvenirs, as we are a registered charity and it will help us to keep afloat.”
- 1 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 2 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 3 MP Selaine backs plans for boost to workers' pensions
- 4 Superb win on the road sets 2022 tone for Bideford
- 5 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 6 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 7 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
- 8 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 9 Store giants say Merry Christmas 9,000 times over
- 10 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
Building work to construct the interiors of the museum at The Yard in Braunton is well underway, and it is hoped the exhibitions will begin to be constructed this month.
Pete said: “What makes us unique is that unlike most museums, we won’t have all of our collection on display at one time, so we can rotate the exhibitions making sure there is always something new to see.
“We are always on the lookout for surfing memorabilia and we will also be doing a lot of work in the community outside of the museum itself.”
If you have any similar guides from around the North Devon area, or remember being involved in the making of them, contact our reporter Sarah Howells on 01271 341658 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.