Surf museum project for Braunton wins charity status
REGISTERED Charity status has been granted to the Museum of British Surfing, which is due to open in Braunton next year. North Devon Plus is helping to get the core funding in place for the project founded by former ITV news reporter Peter Robinson. Th
REGISTERED Charity status has been granted to the Museum of British Surfing, which is due to open in Braunton next year.
North Devon Plus is helping to get the core funding in place for the project founded by former ITV news reporter Peter Robinson.
"This is wonderful news and a massive boost for the museum project," he said. "It is recognition of Britain's surfing heritage and our status as the national body to preserve and celebrate this amazing history on behalf of the British public.
"It is also formal backing for the work we are planning to do on education, the environment and health through surfing."
You may also want to watch:
The museum project has won support from all over the world and partnerships are being established with the British Surfing Association, the University of Pymouth surf science degree and Surfers Against Sewage as well as local organisations, such as the Biosphere Reserve.
The first Britons to go surfing were members of Captain James Cook's crew in 1779. The earliest references to surfing in Britain date back to the mid-1800s and film exists in the museum's archive of a group of surfers taking to the waves in Cornwall on a home-made wooden longboard in 1929.
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 6 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 7 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 8 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer