Surf museum project for Braunton wins charity status
REGISTERED Charity status has been granted to the Museum of British Surfing, which is due to open in Braunton next year. North Devon Plus is helping to get the core funding in place for the project founded by former ITV news reporter Peter Robinson. Th
REGISTERED Charity status has been granted to the Museum of British Surfing, which is due to open in Braunton next year.
North Devon Plus is helping to get the core funding in place for the project founded by former ITV news reporter Peter Robinson.
"This is wonderful news and a massive boost for the museum project," he said. "It is recognition of Britain's surfing heritage and our status as the national body to preserve and celebrate this amazing history on behalf of the British public.
"It is also formal backing for the work we are planning to do on education, the environment and health through surfing."
You may also want to watch:
The museum project has won support from all over the world and partnerships are being established with the British Surfing Association, the University of Pymouth surf science degree and Surfers Against Sewage as well as local organisations, such as the Biosphere Reserve.
The first Britons to go surfing were members of Captain James Cook's crew in 1779. The earliest references to surfing in Britain date back to the mid-1800s and film exists in the museum's archive of a group of surfers taking to the waves in Cornwall on a home-made wooden longboard in 1929.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 5 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 6 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 7 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 8 New Pebbleridge Kitchen arrives on Northam Burrows
- 9 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 10 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park