Support for Mik tops £5,000
- Credit: Graham Hobbs
Computer appeal for Fremington motor neurone disease sufferer is well under way thanks to big sponsored walk.
MORE than 40 dedicated walkers turned out during one of the hottest days of the year to help raise money for motor neurone disease sufferer Mik Morgan’s computer appeal.
People of all ages took part in the sponsored walk from Bideford to Barnstaple along the Tarka Trail and raised £4,500 to take the appeal total past the £5,000 mark.
“It’s a fantastic amount, everyone did really well and thoroughly enjoyed it,” said Mik’s wife Jodie, who organised the event.
“We had friends and family taking part, as well as teachers from our daughter Kia’s school, Fremington Primary. Everyone carried on and made it through – Kia was the youngest there and was able to walk the whole 10 miles.
You may also want to watch:
“Mik would like to thank everyone for their support.”
The family is trying to raise £14,000 to get Mik, 31, a Tobii Eye Gaze computer system, which would vastly improve his quality of life.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 8 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 9 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 10 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
More events are planned, including a bingo at Bideford Angling Club this Friday (July 19), with doors open at 6pm and eyes down at 7.15.
Fremington school held a non-uniform day on Friday and raised £275.
An ongoing silent auction, with new items added regularly, can be found at the Facebook page ‘Support for Mik… Silent Auctions’.
Claire’s Little Robins nursery at Northam is holding a Summer Fair on August 3 from 2-5pm and there will be a stall supporting Mik on the day.
Anyone who would like to donate can visit youcaring.com/support_for_mik