Support for Lundy
SIR - May I congratulate and fully support Derek Green’s letter entitled ‘Lundy Offers Value’. As he so rightly says Lundy and MS Oldenburg are managed by the Landmark Trust, a charitable, non profit making organisation.
Compared to some other ‘attractions’ offered to locals and tourists and aimed at children i.e. slot machines, junk food and high prices, I believe Lundy comes out well above the rest for value for money.
My own grandchildren went with their schools and had a really wonderful experience. I myself am taking them again this summer - if it ever stops raining!
A day trip to the Island takes in the outstanding natural beauty of our coastline. It’s a unique island experience. There are many rare and beautiful birds; wildlife such as seals, basking sharks, dolphins may be spotted; soay sheep, lambs, chickens, ponies, sika deer and so much more.
In fact, Lundy offers something for all age groups. Most of all, it is still a remote, peaceful and unspoilt jewel in North Devon’s Crown. Lundy Island deserves our support! If we want to preserve unspoilt areas like this for our children and their children we must contribute.
You may also want to watch:
There are many discounts available and I hope one day to stay at the self catering accommodation on the Island. I would like to publicly thank Derek Green (Lundy general manager) and his staff, for all the wonderful work they do on Lundy which benefits us all.
We all know Lundy is most definitely at risk from the industrial development known as the Atlantic Array. My group firmly believes this development can and must be stopped.
- 1 Two vehicle crash near South Molton – Link Road blocked
- 2 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 3 'Smash and grab' robbery at Ilfracombe jewellers shop
- 4 Swimbridge Christmas Arts and Crafts Fair returns for 2021
- 5 Barnstaple Enterprise Hub 'Node' launches to support local businesses
- 6 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 7 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 8 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 9 Two burglaries in Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Cook book to help in Afghanistan produced in South Molton
Personally, I question that visitors (or locals) will return to this unique, unspoilt island if the “Atlantic Array” is allowed to materialise. We must not let this happen. Lundy belongs to all of us. Please contact me if you wish to help save our marine mammals and all that is Lundy Island.
Press officer, Save our Marine Mammals, West Yelland.