SIR - It was reported in last week s issue that the North Devon District Council Executive would meet on Tuesday, 14th July to decide which Supermarket of three contenders would be given the go ahead to build a new store in South Molton s central developm
SIR - It was reported in last week's issue that the North Devon District Council Executive would meet on Tuesday, 14th July to decide which Supermarket of three contenders would be given the go ahead to build a new store in South Molton's central development area.
It was not made clear what was at stake for the District Council and for South Molton. If Tesco is approved the Council will pick up a reported �3 million from selling them part of the Town's car park to use to alleviate the Council's current financial needs. We are told that �1 million would be earmarked for a subsequent livestock market move but that could be years down the line. South Molton would get a supermarket favoured by less than 20per cent in the latest polls and would have to live with the livestock market and a supermarket fighting for the same inadequate parking space for the foreseeable future.
If either Morrisons or Sainsburys are given the nod both have offered to actively assist transferring the livestock market to the town's industrial park AND promote a much needed modern medical centre for the town.
The district council would receive money from the sale of the current market site but there would be an inconvenient delay caused by the market move and it would have to honour its pledge to part fund the move by that �1 million.
You may also want to watch:
Will the Tuesday decision be swayed by the short term interests of the district council or the long term interests of South Molton?
From past experience I fear that the district's interests will prevail. If so rest assured that a flawed decision will not be the end of this saga.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 6 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 9 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 10 A361: Crash involving car and lorry blocks Link Road near South Molton