Sun shines on 760th Chulmleigh Old Fair
- Credit: Archant
Festivities get off to a good start as heatwave holds off the showers – for now.
CHULMLEIGH’S 760th Old Fair celebrations got under way in glorious mid summer sunshine on Tuesday evening.
Crowds of people packed Fore Street to see proclamation of the ancient annual event, followed by the crowning of fair queen Sonam Ahmed.
The 16-year-old Chulmleigh Community College leaver wowed onlookers with an Asian-inspired take on the traditional fair queen’s gown.
Youngsters were then given the chance to ‘scramble’ for coins tossed from the upper windows of the town hall by dignitaries, including bell-ringer Chrissie Preece, who was given the honour of opening this year’s festivities.
You may also want to watch:
Yesterday, the heat was on for visitors, stallholders and livestock as the tail end of the recent heatwave nudged temperatures into the mid-20s.
Fair-goers were kept entertained with a traditional sheep show, flower show, vintage vehicles, craft and country market, and golf challenge.
- 1 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 2 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 3 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 4 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 5 Barnstaple Pannier Market support return of Barnstaple In Bloom
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 7 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 8 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 9 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 10 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
A packed programme of events and activities continues today (Thursday) with a sports day, while on Friday there’s a horse show and antiques fair.
A flower festival in the Congregational Church and Old Fair archive exhibition in the town hall continues all week.
The fun culminates in a fancy dress carnival, games and dancing in Fore Street on Saturday.
For a complete listing of all the events taking place, you can pick up a free fair programme from local shops and tourist information centres.
For more pictures click on the gallery link at the top right of this page.