Sun, sand and seahorses at sandcastle competition
Thousands flock to Woolacombe Beach for the annual UK National Sandcastle Competition to help raise funds for North Devon Hospice
CHILDREN’S television presenters, giant seashores and glorious sunshine all came together at Woolacombe on Sunday for the popular UK National Sandcastle Competition.
The team from North Devon Homes was victorious for a second year, retaining their title with an intricate seahorse that was a favourite with the judges.
The Ilfracombe Round Table team, who built a huge dragon lying on a giant round table, were ably assisted by CBBC presenter Naomi Wilkinson, who was competing against her fellow presenter Ed Petrie as they filmed for a new series of the children’s show All Over The Place.
As well as the champion crustacean, and plenty of other sand-sculpted masterpieces, the crowd of thousands also enjoyed a carnival atmosphere with Samba Sol steel band and entertainment from Heart Radio and Mark Membury from Stardust Disco.
You may also want to watch:
The event is organised by North Devon Hospice, with all proceeds helping to provide their specialist care and support throughout the area.
The televised help enabled the Round Table to scoop third spot, while Dan, Sabrina, Nick and Hayley, a team of friends from Braunton, took second place.
- 1 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 2 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 3 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 4 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 5 People in North Devon urged to take up the vaccine to help protect others
- 6 5-year-old Emily signs up to Appledore RNLI Mayday Mile Event
- 7 MP nominates North Devon champions for Levelling Up Awards
- 8 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 9 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 10 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
There was also an attempt on the world record for the most number of sandcastles built in an hour, with a staggering 550 required and while the small army of willing volunteers fell just short, there are hopes to try again in the future.
* SEND YOUR SANDCASTLE COMPETITION PICTURES FOR INCLUSION IN OUR ONLINE GALLERY TO: firstname.lastname@example.org