Summer sports success in North Devon
THE whistle has been blown on another successful summer of sport across North Devon. The Supersport programme, organised by North Devon Council, takes place every year and offers taster sports and activities for children and young people up to 15 years
THE whistle has been blown on another successful summer of sport across North Devon.
The Supersport programme, organised by North Devon Council, takes place every year and offers taster sports and activities for children and young people up to 15 years old for four weeks during August.
More than 40 different activities were available with 400 places filled from the programme. Activities ranged from adventure days, surfing and cricket to a new bikeability cycling course that gives children and young people the knowledge and ability to ride safely on the roads.
Councillor Dick Jones, Lead Member for Community and Leisure, said: "This year's Supersport event was another great success. We are all well aware how important an active and healthy lifestyle is and that by doing something we enjoy makes it a lot easier.
You may also want to watch:
"Therefore, I hope that the Supersport programme has encouraged our children and young people to try something different and carry on with their new hobby after the holidays."
This year's Supersport also saw the start of a new partnership between North Devon Council and Devon County Council, through the Extended Services initiative. The initiative aims to provide extra activities using school sites across North Devon outside of school hours.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 3 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 4 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 5 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 6 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 7 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 8 Date set for Barnstaple Pannier Market reopening
- 9 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 10 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
Details of next year's Supersport programme will be available from June 2010.