Summer sports success in North Devon
THE whistle has been blown on another successful summer of sport across North Devon. The Supersport programme, organised by North Devon Council, takes place every year and offers taster sports and activities for children and young people up to 15 years
THE whistle has been blown on another successful summer of sport across North Devon.
The Supersport programme, organised by North Devon Council, takes place every year and offers taster sports and activities for children and young people up to 15 years old for four weeks during August.
More than 40 different activities were available with 400 places filled from the programme. Activities ranged from adventure days, surfing and cricket to a new bikeability cycling course that gives children and young people the knowledge and ability to ride safely on the roads.
Councillor Dick Jones, Lead Member for Community and Leisure, said: "This year's Supersport event was another great success. We are all well aware how important an active and healthy lifestyle is and that by doing something we enjoy makes it a lot easier.
You may also want to watch:
"Therefore, I hope that the Supersport programme has encouraged our children and young people to try something different and carry on with their new hobby after the holidays."
This year's Supersport also saw the start of a new partnership between North Devon Council and Devon County Council, through the Extended Services initiative. The initiative aims to provide extra activities using school sites across North Devon outside of school hours.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
Details of next year's Supersport programme will be available from June 2010.