Sub zero temperatures and snow threatens
Motorists warned to avoid travel if possible as temperatures in Devon expected to fall as low as minus 10 again tonight, with snow possible tomorrow.
NORTH Devon is being warned of the potential of snow and ice this weekend.
Although low temperatures will again feature this evening (Friday,) as they have throughout this week, conditions are expected to change tomorrow morning.
Road surface temperatures will be around minus 10 in parts of the county overnight and Devon County Council gritters are out treating the main roads throughout this afternoon and again at 4am.
Saturday will see temperatures rising but forecasts warn there is a possibility of widespread rain and sleet, with snow on high ground, from around 9am onwards.
You may also want to watch:
That may then freeze overnight on Sunday and ice is likely across the county.
Motorists are urged to avoid overnight travel unless absolutely essential as roads will be more hazardous.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 3 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 4 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 7 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 8 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 9 Selaine Saxby's Henry to compete for Westminster Dog of the Year
- 10 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
If you must travel, allow additional time for your journey and reduce your speed, driving with care and according to the conditions. Stay tuned to local radio for updates on current weather conditions.
Those with vulnerable or elderly neighbours are asked to think about how they could possibly be helped through the cold spell.
For more information and travel advice visit: www.devon.gov.uk/winter_travel