Sub zero temperatures and snow threatens
Motorists warned to avoid travel if possible as temperatures in Devon expected to fall as low as minus 10 again tonight, with snow possible tomorrow.
NORTH Devon is being warned of the potential of snow and ice this weekend.
Although low temperatures will again feature this evening (Friday,) as they have throughout this week, conditions are expected to change tomorrow morning.
Road surface temperatures will be around minus 10 in parts of the county overnight and Devon County Council gritters are out treating the main roads throughout this afternoon and again at 4am.
Saturday will see temperatures rising but forecasts warn there is a possibility of widespread rain and sleet, with snow on high ground, from around 9am onwards.
That may then freeze overnight on Sunday and ice is likely across the county.
Motorists are urged to avoid overnight travel unless absolutely essential as roads will be more hazardous.
- 1 OPINION: Hi-Tech – Is North Devon ahead or behind the curve?
- 2 Masons donate £20,000 to food banks
- 3 Steve’s family and friends bring Christmas to hospital ward
- 4 Property of the Week: Some of the finest views of North Devon's coast
- 5 Specialist fire crews rescue horse trapped in ditch
- 6 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 7 Refresh your New Year’s wardrobe by donating unwanted clothes for a good cause
- 8 Covid-19 ventilation advice for North Devon landlords
- 9 Together we can look forward to 2022
- 10 North Devon Weekend Football Results
If you must travel, allow additional time for your journey and reduce your speed, driving with care and according to the conditions. Stay tuned to local radio for updates on current weather conditions.
Those with vulnerable or elderly neighbours are asked to think about how they could possibly be helped through the cold spell.
For more information and travel advice visit: www.devon.gov.uk/winter_travel