Stylists among the medals
A BARNSTAPLE salon was a cut above the competition at a major South West hairstyling championships held in Somerset earlier this month.
Stylists from High Street salon The Oak Room picked up four awards at the National Hairdressers’ Federation Somerset Championships.
Manager Kelly Toms, stylist Ricardo Paixao and trainee stylists Roxanne Berry and Samantha Kotchombas spent three days preparing for the event at the Holiday Inn in Taunton on Sunday, October 10.
And with just half-an-hour to work their magic on the day, the quartet wowed judges with a quartet of stunning creations.
Manager Kelly won gold in the “senior men’s fashion cut and style” category, as well as a bronze award for the “senior ladies evening style – long hair”.
You may also want to watch:
Roxanne was awarded silver in the “junior ladies evening style – long hair” section, while Ricardo won a bronze for his “total look fantasy” creation.
The awards bolster an already formidable collection of gongs that the salon has amassed over the years.
- 1 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 2 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 3 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 4 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 5 Veterans Charity to host Charity Car Wash at Barnstaple HQ
- 6 Date set for Barnstaple Pannier Market reopening
- 7 Motorcyclist denied dangerous driving after quad bike crash
- 8 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 9 Hospice volunteer reaches out to 325 bereaved people during lockdown
- 10 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
“We won the Devon championships in 2005 and usually pick up a couple of awards each year,” said Kelly, who will be taking part in the South of England Championships with Ricardo in Southampton on November 21.
“But this year was really special as the salon picked up four prizes and was the most successful in the competition.”