Stylists among the medals
A BARNSTAPLE salon was a cut above the competition at a major South West hairstyling championships held in Somerset earlier this month.
Stylists from High Street salon The Oak Room picked up four awards at the National Hairdressers’ Federation Somerset Championships.
Manager Kelly Toms, stylist Ricardo Paixao and trainee stylists Roxanne Berry and Samantha Kotchombas spent three days preparing for the event at the Holiday Inn in Taunton on Sunday, October 10.
And with just half-an-hour to work their magic on the day, the quartet wowed judges with a quartet of stunning creations.
Manager Kelly won gold in the “senior men’s fashion cut and style” category, as well as a bronze award for the “senior ladies evening style – long hair”.
You may also want to watch:
Roxanne was awarded silver in the “junior ladies evening style – long hair” section, while Ricardo won a bronze for his “total look fantasy” creation.
The awards bolster an already formidable collection of gongs that the salon has amassed over the years.
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 3 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 4 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 5 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 6 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 7 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 8 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 9 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 10 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
“We won the Devon championships in 2005 and usually pick up a couple of awards each year,” said Kelly, who will be taking part in the South of England Championships with Ricardo in Southampton on November 21.
“But this year was really special as the salon picked up four prizes and was the most successful in the competition.”