Stunning shots in Lundy Splash-In
Lundy s first underwater photography competition produced some stunning pictures of life beneath the waves. The island has been a Marine Nature Reserve since 1986 and the aim of the Splash-In competition was to capture the diverse aspects of the marine en
Lundy's first underwater photography competition produced some stunning pictures of life beneath the waves.
The island has been a Marine Nature Reserve since 1986 and the aim of the Splash-In competition was to capture the diverse aspects of the marine environment and bring local and national divers together to celebrate the marine reserve and the sixth year of Lundy's 'No Take Zone'.
The waters around the island are renowned for their diversity and competitors had subjects such as grey seals, rare corals and shipwrecks to photograph.
The event was hosted by Lundy's general manager Derek Green, with the judging open to all divers and visitors staying on the island.
You may also want to watch:
The winners, all from Appledore Sub Aqua Club, were by Mark Lavington with his picture of a Jewel Anemone in the 'Mega to Macro' category, Mike Deaton's seal in the 'Marine Nature Reserve Ambience' category and James Wright's Compass Jellyfish in the 'Marine Abstract' category.
James walked away with the main honours as the overall winner, with his black and white image from underneath the jellyfish.
- 1 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 2 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 3 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 4 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 5 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 6 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 7 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 8 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 9 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 10 Football league teams up with Northern Devon Foodbank
Lundy wildlife warden Nicola Saunders said: "All in all, the event was a great success and from small beginnings we hope it will grow into an annual event. We have provisionally booked June 12 for the 2010 Splash-IN. On behalf of Lundy, all the competitors and myself I'd like to say a massive thank you to all our sponsors.