Students shown how to splash safely in Barnstaple
STUDENTS at a Barnstaple primary school have been learning about the importance of being careful when playing near stretches of water. Police officers, fire fighters, paramedics, and members of Exmoor Search & Rescue visited Year 5 and 6 students at Landk
STUDENTS at a Barnstaple primary school have been learning about the importance of being careful when playing near stretches of water.
Police officers, fire fighters, paramedics, and members of Exmoor Search & Rescue visited Year 5 and 6 students at Landkey Community School to show how the various emergency services work together to help resolve a situation.
The event, organised by local Police Community Support Office (PCSO) Hannah Denton, also gave pupils the opportunity to quiz the emergency services about what to do in the event of getting into trouble in or near water. They were given advice on how to prevent an incident as well as the consequences of "tomb stoning".
PCSO Denton said: "Last year I held a 'Safety Net Initiative' at the school to increase awareness of the problems of under age drinking and it was a great.
You may also want to watch:
"Building on this approach, I wanted to highlight awareness of water in general following a couple of incidents last year where young people got into difficulties swimming in the South West.
"The pupils' response to the day was very positive," added PCSO Denton.
- 1 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 2 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 10 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
The initiative is aimed at safety around water but PCSO Denton also hopes it will inspire the youngsters to consider the emergency services as a possible career path in the future.