Students shown how to splash safely in Barnstaple
STUDENTS at a Barnstaple primary school have been learning about the importance of being careful when playing near stretches of water. Police officers, fire fighters, paramedics, and members of Exmoor Search & Rescue visited Year 5 and 6 students at Landk
STUDENTS at a Barnstaple primary school have been learning about the importance of being careful when playing near stretches of water.
Police officers, fire fighters, paramedics, and members of Exmoor Search & Rescue visited Year 5 and 6 students at Landkey Community School to show how the various emergency services work together to help resolve a situation.
The event, organised by local Police Community Support Office (PCSO) Hannah Denton, also gave pupils the opportunity to quiz the emergency services about what to do in the event of getting into trouble in or near water. They were given advice on how to prevent an incident as well as the consequences of "tomb stoning".
PCSO Denton said: "Last year I held a 'Safety Net Initiative' at the school to increase awareness of the problems of under age drinking and it was a great.
You may also want to watch:
"Building on this approach, I wanted to highlight awareness of water in general following a couple of incidents last year where young people got into difficulties swimming in the South West.
"The pupils' response to the day was very positive," added PCSO Denton.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 3 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 4 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 5 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 6 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 7 Roger McGough unveiled as Plough Poetry Prize judge
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 10 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
The initiative is aimed at safety around water but PCSO Denton also hopes it will inspire the youngsters to consider the emergency services as a possible career path in the future.