Strike action hits some council services
Green bin collections suspended due to 24-hour public sector walkout
NORTH Devon Council has suspended all green bin collections in response to today’s (Wednesday’s) strike by public sector workers.
The council said it was also “prioritising” waste and recycling collections and that some parts of Barnstaple, such as Forches and Whiddon Valley would not be collected until the next scheduled collection.
Recycling in rural areas such as South Molton and Chittlehampton is taking place today and black bin and bags are being collected as normal.
Residents due a recycling collection are advised to put their recycling out as normal. If it is not collected later in the week, they are asked to take their recycling back in until their next collection is due.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, the council’s Customer Service Centre’s telephone service is open as normal today, with the Civic Centre in Barnstaple also open to visitors. Lynton House in Barnstaple is open as a normal.
Both the Amory Centre in South Molton and the Ilfracombe Centre are also open but there are no district council staff on duty at these two sites.
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 Holidaycottages.co.uk celebrates launch of new office in Braunton
- 3 North Devon Tesco stores to hold extra summer Food Collection
- 4 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 5 Why it‘s important to shop local in North Devon post-lockdown
- 6 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 7 Invitations to join this summer’s Devon Climate Assembly sent to households
- 8 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 9 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 10 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
Instead, customers can use the telephones available at both these centres to contact the council.
Assistant chief executive Anne Cowley apologised for any inconvenience to customers.
She said: “We are doing all we can to minimise any disruption to our services and are working to ensure that all of our services return to normal as quickly as possible on Thursday, December 1.”
For more information about the strike’s impact on council services, telephone the Customer Service Centre on (01271) 327711.
Information about disruptions will also be put on the council’s website www.northdevon.gov.uk.