Strike action hits some council services
Green bin collections suspended due to 24-hour public sector walkout
NORTH Devon Council has suspended all green bin collections in response to today’s (Wednesday’s) strike by public sector workers.
The council said it was also “prioritising” waste and recycling collections and that some parts of Barnstaple, such as Forches and Whiddon Valley would not be collected until the next scheduled collection.
Recycling in rural areas such as South Molton and Chittlehampton is taking place today and black bin and bags are being collected as normal.
Residents due a recycling collection are advised to put their recycling out as normal. If it is not collected later in the week, they are asked to take their recycling back in until their next collection is due.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, the council’s Customer Service Centre’s telephone service is open as normal today, with the Civic Centre in Barnstaple also open to visitors. Lynton House in Barnstaple is open as a normal.
Both the Amory Centre in South Molton and the Ilfracombe Centre are also open but there are no district council staff on duty at these two sites.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
Instead, customers can use the telephones available at both these centres to contact the council.
Assistant chief executive Anne Cowley apologised for any inconvenience to customers.
She said: “We are doing all we can to minimise any disruption to our services and are working to ensure that all of our services return to normal as quickly as possible on Thursday, December 1.”
For more information about the strike’s impact on council services, telephone the Customer Service Centre on (01271) 327711.
Information about disruptions will also be put on the council’s website www.northdevon.gov.uk.