Strike action hits some council services
Green bin collections suspended due to 24-hour public sector walkout
NORTH Devon Council has suspended all green bin collections in response to today’s (Wednesday’s) strike by public sector workers.
The council said it was also “prioritising” waste and recycling collections and that some parts of Barnstaple, such as Forches and Whiddon Valley would not be collected until the next scheduled collection.
Recycling in rural areas such as South Molton and Chittlehampton is taking place today and black bin and bags are being collected as normal.
Residents due a recycling collection are advised to put their recycling out as normal. If it is not collected later in the week, they are asked to take their recycling back in until their next collection is due.
Meanwhile, the council’s Customer Service Centre’s telephone service is open as normal today, with the Civic Centre in Barnstaple also open to visitors. Lynton House in Barnstaple is open as a normal.
Both the Amory Centre in South Molton and the Ilfracombe Centre are also open but there are no district council staff on duty at these two sites.
- 1 Unique seaside wedding venue to put £1m into Combe Martin economy
- 2 160 traders at this year's Christmas Market in Braunton
- 3 Council forms group to tackle North Devon housing crisis
- 4 Holsworthy link mental health centre looks set to close permanently
- 5 New recycled plastic tables installed at Victoria Park
- 6 Loud music man fined after breaching official order
- 7 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 8 Heddon Valley crowned top of winter walks table
- 9 RGB's North Devon branches helping others this Christmas
- 10 North Devon MP encourages community to go 'one step greener'
Instead, customers can use the telephones available at both these centres to contact the council.
Assistant chief executive Anne Cowley apologised for any inconvenience to customers.
She said: “We are doing all we can to minimise any disruption to our services and are working to ensure that all of our services return to normal as quickly as possible on Thursday, December 1.”
For more information about the strike’s impact on council services, telephone the Customer Service Centre on (01271) 327711.
Information about disruptions will also be put on the council’s website www.northdevon.gov.uk.