Strike action hits some council services
Green bin collections suspended due to 24-hour public sector walkout
NORTH Devon Council has suspended all green bin collections in response to today’s (Wednesday’s) strike by public sector workers.
The council said it was also “prioritising” waste and recycling collections and that some parts of Barnstaple, such as Forches and Whiddon Valley would not be collected until the next scheduled collection.
Recycling in rural areas such as South Molton and Chittlehampton is taking place today and black bin and bags are being collected as normal.
Residents due a recycling collection are advised to put their recycling out as normal. If it is not collected later in the week, they are asked to take their recycling back in until their next collection is due.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, the council’s Customer Service Centre’s telephone service is open as normal today, with the Civic Centre in Barnstaple also open to visitors. Lynton House in Barnstaple is open as a normal.
Both the Amory Centre in South Molton and the Ilfracombe Centre are also open but there are no district council staff on duty at these two sites.
- 1 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 2 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 People in North Devon urged to take up the vaccine to help protect others
- 5 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 6 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 7 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 8 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 9 Ton-up Brend helps Bideford set early pace
- 10 MP welcomes free virtual funding workshop for North Devon charities
Instead, customers can use the telephones available at both these centres to contact the council.
Assistant chief executive Anne Cowley apologised for any inconvenience to customers.
She said: “We are doing all we can to minimise any disruption to our services and are working to ensure that all of our services return to normal as quickly as possible on Thursday, December 1.”
For more information about the strike’s impact on council services, telephone the Customer Service Centre on (01271) 327711.
Information about disruptions will also be put on the council’s website www.northdevon.gov.uk.