Strike action could impact on council services
North Devon Council has warned some services could be affected by next week’s planned walkouts.
PEOPLE in North Devon are being informed that some of their council services could be affected next week, after union members voted to take strike action.
The strike is planned for Wednesday, November 30 across the UK and includes council workers, teachers, social workers and NHS staff from various trade unions.
At North Devon Council, around 200 workers are members of the union Unison, although it isn’t known how many will take part in the action, or whether other officers will join them.
As a result of the strike, it is possible that some council services may face some disruption, such as waste and recycling collections, revenues and benefits and housing.
You may also want to watch:
Chief executive Mike Mansell said: “A large number of council employees here are Unison members and we will not know until the actual day exactly how many of our staff will exercise their right to strike.
“We will try to minimise the strike’s impact as best we can, but disruption to some of our key services is likely.”
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 8 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
The Civic Centre in Barnstaple, The Ilfracombe Centre and The Amory Centre in South Molton are expected to remain open. However, with services likely to be limited, customers are being asked to phone the council instead of visiting the offices. The number is (01271) 327711.
Meanwhile, Lynton House in Barnstaple is also likely to be affected. To find out the strike impact to this office and other services on the day, visit the council’s website www.northdevon.gov.uk