Strategy is needed for Harbour
Torridge District Councillors have agreed that a strategy is needed to outline the future for Bideford harbour and Estuary
COUNCILLORS have unanimously agreed that a strategy for Bideford harbour and Estuary should be formed before discussing an application for a harbour revision order.
Speaking at Torridge District Council’s community and resources meeting on Monday, Ricky McCormack, Head of Operational Services, suggested the strategy was an important first step to take to agree the future of the harbour and estuary.
The agreement comes after Councillor Barry Parsons issued a statement last week confirming the council were not in the process of applying for a harbour revision order.
Many harbour-users had become concerned after rumours began to circle that the council were seeking a harbour revision order and introducing mooring charges.
You may also want to watch:
This, Mr Parsons said in his statement, was not true, and added: “I am happy to give every assurance that should a harbour revision order (agreed in 2009 by the previous harbour working board group) be considered by the council, local communities will be given every opportunity to join in through proper and meaningful consultation.”
Speaking at the meeting, Mr Parsons agreed with the suggestion of a strategy, and said: “We don’t use the estuary nearly as much as we should. We should be looking at a strategy to move forward and from my point of view this is the right way to go about it.”
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 6 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 7 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 8 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
The Harbour Working Board will be meeting at Bideford Town Hall tomorrow (Thurs) at 3pm.