Storms sink schools’ day
Main festival still going ahead but organisers of schools event decide to cancel for first time after constant rain forecast
FOR the first time Education Day at GoldCoast Oceanfest today (Friday) at Croyde has been cancelled due to the weather.
Organisers PEDPASS took the decision this morning after the latest forecast showed heavy rain would set in for most of the morning and afternoon.
They said that, together with fairly low temperatures would have made beach games extremely uncomfortable for the 1,000 plus primary school youngsters expected at the event.
The rest of the surf, sport, music and lifestyle festival is still scheduled to go ahead as normal today and throughout the weekend, in the main arena and on the beach.
You may also want to watch:
But Education Day, a mainly outdoor event of beach games, races, relays and orienteering, would have been hit hugely by the weather.
“We have managed to ring around most of the schools involved,” said Paul Marshall at PEDASS.
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 3 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 4 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 5 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 6 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 7 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 8 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 9 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 10 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
“It’s just one of those desperate situations and I was hoping there would be a window for us, with the weather not arriving until later. But unfortunately the forecast is for consistent heavy rain from 10am until past 4pm.”
The event was also to include a visit by Olympic champion Jason Gardener, who was going to work with the Year 6 pupils through the day on a variety of sports activities. He is still scheduled to visit this morning and will be meeting some of the young helpers who were to assist with Education Day, as well as tour the festival site.
The ticket office for the main festival is now closed but tickets will be available at the gate on a first come, first served basis. Visit www.goldcoastoceanfest.co.uk for more details.