Storms sink schools’ day
Main festival still going ahead but organisers of schools event decide to cancel for first time after constant rain forecast
FOR the first time Education Day at GoldCoast Oceanfest today (Friday) at Croyde has been cancelled due to the weather.
Organisers PEDPASS took the decision this morning after the latest forecast showed heavy rain would set in for most of the morning and afternoon.
They said that, together with fairly low temperatures would have made beach games extremely uncomfortable for the 1,000 plus primary school youngsters expected at the event.
The rest of the surf, sport, music and lifestyle festival is still scheduled to go ahead as normal today and throughout the weekend, in the main arena and on the beach.
You may also want to watch:
But Education Day, a mainly outdoor event of beach games, races, relays and orienteering, would have been hit hugely by the weather.
“We have managed to ring around most of the schools involved,” said Paul Marshall at PEDASS.
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 5 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 6 New ‘inside-out’ art gallery coming to Ilfracombe
- 7 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 8 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Tesco launches ‘Buy One to Help A Child’ in North Devon
“It’s just one of those desperate situations and I was hoping there would be a window for us, with the weather not arriving until later. But unfortunately the forecast is for consistent heavy rain from 10am until past 4pm.”
The event was also to include a visit by Olympic champion Jason Gardener, who was going to work with the Year 6 pupils through the day on a variety of sports activities. He is still scheduled to visit this morning and will be meeting some of the young helpers who were to assist with Education Day, as well as tour the festival site.
The ticket office for the main festival is now closed but tickets will be available at the gate on a first come, first served basis. Visit www.goldcoastoceanfest.co.uk for more details.