Storm force winds batter North Devon
Roads blocked by trees as huge gusts blast the region
STORM force winds have been battering North Devon overnight and this morning, with a number of roads in the region blocked or partially blocked by fallen trees.
Winds of up to 52mph have been recorded at the Taw Bridge in Barnstaple as many commuters return to work following the Christmas break.
Devon County Council’s Highways teams have been dealing with fallen trees on the A399 Ilfracombe to Combe Martin road, while in Barnstaple, one lane is understood to be blocked at the A361 at Pottington.
Other problems have been reported in the Torington area on the A3124 and at Black Torrington on the A3072.
You may also want to watch:
The Environment Agency has issued flood warnings for the River Caen, Bradiford Water and River Yeo, as well as coastal streams from Braunton to Combe Martin.
In Torridge, warnings are in place at Dolton, Torrington, Bideford and Westward Ho!
- 1 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 2 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 10 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses