Still in the swim at 71
RETIRED schoolteacher Ann Humphris is still winning medals in the swimming pool at the age of 71. Ann, from Westleigh, competes all over the country in Masters competitions, starting in the 55-59 years age group and currently in the 70-74 years class.. S
RETIRED schoolteacher Ann Humphris is still winning medals in the swimming pool at the age of 71.
Ann, from Westleigh, competes all over the country in Masters competitions, starting in the 55-59 years age group and currently in the 70-74 years class.. She has averaged around 20 medals a year - which she describes as 'a good haul.'
Her biggest achievement, says Ann, is to have won gold at the British Masters in Manchester two years ago.
This year she picked up four gold medals at the Welsh Masters in March, two gold and two silver at the Yorkshire Masters in April, two silver and two bronze at the British Masters in June, four silver at the North West championships in July and one gold and three silver at the Devon Masters earlier this month.
You may also want to watch:
Her gold medals are particularly prized by her grandchildren, who collect them.
Ann's swimming started at just eight or nine years old and she has continued ever since. Her first competitions were during primary school in Leicester when she was 10 or 11 and she went on to swim county competitions for Leicestershire.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 3 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 4 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 5 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 6 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 7 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 8 Date set for Barnstaple Pannier Market reopening
- 9 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 10 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
Work as a teacher and bringing up a family curtailed her competitive swimming, but she took it up again after coming to North Devon in the Masters classes. She has also swum marathons for charity.
Ann now trains three times a week at the Torridge Pool in Northam and with Barnstaple Swimming Club.