Still in the swim at 71
RETIRED schoolteacher Ann Humphris is still winning medals in the swimming pool at the age of 71. Ann, from Westleigh, competes all over the country in Masters competitions, starting in the 55-59 years age group and currently in the 70-74 years class.. S
RETIRED schoolteacher Ann Humphris is still winning medals in the swimming pool at the age of 71.
Ann, from Westleigh, competes all over the country in Masters competitions, starting in the 55-59 years age group and currently in the 70-74 years class.. She has averaged around 20 medals a year - which she describes as 'a good haul.'
Her biggest achievement, says Ann, is to have won gold at the British Masters in Manchester two years ago.
This year she picked up four gold medals at the Welsh Masters in March, two gold and two silver at the Yorkshire Masters in April, two silver and two bronze at the British Masters in June, four silver at the North West championships in July and one gold and three silver at the Devon Masters earlier this month.
Her gold medals are particularly prized by her grandchildren, who collect them.
Ann's swimming started at just eight or nine years old and she has continued ever since. Her first competitions were during primary school in Leicester when she was 10 or 11 and she went on to swim county competitions for Leicestershire.
- 1 Unique seaside wedding venue to put £1m into Combe Martin economy
- 2 160 traders at this year's Christmas Market in Braunton
- 3 Holsworthy link mental health centre looks set to close permanently
- 4 Council forms group to tackle North Devon housing crisis
- 5 New recycled plastic tables installed at Victoria Park
- 6 Loud music man fined after breaching official order
- 7 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 8 Heddon Valley crowned top of winter walks table
- 9 North Devon MP encourages community to go 'one step greener'
- 10 RGB's North Devon branches helping others this Christmas
Work as a teacher and bringing up a family curtailed her competitive swimming, but she took it up again after coming to North Devon in the Masters classes. She has also swum marathons for charity.
Ann now trains three times a week at the Torridge Pool in Northam and with Barnstaple Swimming Club.