Still in the swim at 71
RETIRED schoolteacher Ann Humphris is still winning medals in the swimming pool at the age of 71. Ann, from Westleigh, competes all over the country in Masters competitions, starting in the 55-59 years age group and currently in the 70-74 years class.. S
RETIRED schoolteacher Ann Humphris is still winning medals in the swimming pool at the age of 71.
Ann, from Westleigh, competes all over the country in Masters competitions, starting in the 55-59 years age group and currently in the 70-74 years class.. She has averaged around 20 medals a year - which she describes as 'a good haul.'
Her biggest achievement, says Ann, is to have won gold at the British Masters in Manchester two years ago.
This year she picked up four gold medals at the Welsh Masters in March, two gold and two silver at the Yorkshire Masters in April, two silver and two bronze at the British Masters in June, four silver at the North West championships in July and one gold and three silver at the Devon Masters earlier this month.
You may also want to watch:
Her gold medals are particularly prized by her grandchildren, who collect them.
Ann's swimming started at just eight or nine years old and she has continued ever since. Her first competitions were during primary school in Leicester when she was 10 or 11 and she went on to swim county competitions for Leicestershire.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 10 Lockdown breaker caught dealing cannabis in Barnstaple
Work as a teacher and bringing up a family curtailed her competitive swimming, but she took it up again after coming to North Devon in the Masters classes. She has also swum marathons for charity.
Ann now trains three times a week at the Torridge Pool in Northam and with Barnstaple Swimming Club.