Step out for this year’s Relay For Life
- Credit: Archant
Cancer Research UK plans a fifth fundraiser at Braunton athletics track.
THE call has gone out to friends, families and work colleagues to get together and enter this year’s Relay For Life.
The popular and poignant Cancer Research UK fundraiser returns to the North Devon Athletic Track in Braunton for the fifth time during the weekend June 7 and 8.
Similar events held since 2008 have raised nearly £100,000 for the charity, with last year’s fundraiser adding just over £21,000 to the overall total.
Linda Ackroyd, volunteer chairman of Relay For Life, said there were still places for teams of between eight to 15 people, of all ages and abilities.
You may also want to watch:
“Relay For Life is a great way to spend time with your friends, family and colleagues while raising money for a truly worthwhile cause,” she said.
“More than one in three people in the UK will be diagnosed with cancer at some stage in their lives. Taking part in Relay For Life is about being part of a community united in the belief that it can make a difference and help beat cancer.”
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 5 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 6 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 7 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 10 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
Participants are asked to raise as much money as possible in the months leading up to the event.
The weekend will feature fun for all the family, with stalls, a raffle, refreshments, entertainment and themed laps.
Team members take it in turns to walk round a track while everyone else enjoys the carnival atmosphere.
As dusk falls on the Saturday, the atmosphere quietens as the Candle of Hope ceremony begins, where candles are lit in memory of loved ones and placed around the track.
For more information visit cruk.org/relay call 0871 641 2602, or find Cancer Research UK Relay for Life North Devon on Facebook.