Step out for this year’s Relay For Life
- Credit: Archant
Cancer Research UK plans a fifth fundraiser at Braunton athletics track.
THE call has gone out to friends, families and work colleagues to get together and enter this year’s Relay For Life.
The popular and poignant Cancer Research UK fundraiser returns to the North Devon Athletic Track in Braunton for the fifth time during the weekend June 7 and 8.
Similar events held since 2008 have raised nearly £100,000 for the charity, with last year’s fundraiser adding just over £21,000 to the overall total.
Linda Ackroyd, volunteer chairman of Relay For Life, said there were still places for teams of between eight to 15 people, of all ages and abilities.
You may also want to watch:
“Relay For Life is a great way to spend time with your friends, family and colleagues while raising money for a truly worthwhile cause,” she said.
“More than one in three people in the UK will be diagnosed with cancer at some stage in their lives. Taking part in Relay For Life is about being part of a community united in the belief that it can make a difference and help beat cancer.”
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 8 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
Participants are asked to raise as much money as possible in the months leading up to the event.
The weekend will feature fun for all the family, with stalls, a raffle, refreshments, entertainment and themed laps.
Team members take it in turns to walk round a track while everyone else enjoys the carnival atmosphere.
As dusk falls on the Saturday, the atmosphere quietens as the Candle of Hope ceremony begins, where candles are lit in memory of loved ones and placed around the track.
For more information visit cruk.org/relay call 0871 641 2602, or find Cancer Research UK Relay for Life North Devon on Facebook.