Start on Chulmleigh youth centre
WORK is about to start on the new youth centre in Chulmleigh.
Devon County Council Youth Service staff met contractors and project managers this week to finalise the plans. These will take shape next week as contractors Richardson’s prepare the site for the building work, which will start the following week.
The 21st Century purpose-built youth centre, which will be attached to Chulmleigh Community Sports Hall, will include a large kitchen area, office, workshop and meeting rooms as well as access to the sports hall and the multi-use games area in the same complex.
The centre will be in use during the day as well as evenings, hosting a range of activities and programmes including youth services, inclusion work for children with special educational needs, band practice and dance workshops, Duke of Edinburgh and Ten Tors training and youth centre nights. It will also be available for community and private lettings.
The project is the result of a partnership between the county council’s Youth Service, Chulmleigh Community College, Chulmleigh Sports Centre Committee and local residents and young people. It has received financial contributions from Devon County Council, Chulmleigh Community College and from the Invest In Devon funding from the sale of Exeter Airport.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Christine Channon, Devon County Council’s Cabinet Member for Schools and Skills, said: “Next week marks the start of this long-awaited new facility for the Chulmleigh community and I look forward to seeing it taking shape over the coming months.”
Simon Cohen, North Devon Team Leader, said: “Devon Youth Service’s North Devon Team are very excited at the new build being completed in the next six months. Tim Williams, the Area Youth Worker, has been working with a group of around 20 young people regarding aspects of the build and they are really looking forward to deciding the type of programmes, how they will fit out the youth venue and what they will name it.”
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 3 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 4 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 5 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 6 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 9 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising