‘Stars’ line up to cut ribbon on new classrooms
The Queen and David Cameron perform special ceremonial duties at Barnstaple primary school.
CHILDREN and parents at a Barnstaple primary school have celebrated the official opening of new classrooms for the school’s youngest members.
The new �57,000 foundation stage unit at Ashleigh C of E Primary School, named Ashlings by parents, is already being used by the school’s newly amalgamated nursery and reception classes.
Youngsters were asked who they’d like to come along and open the building – and when a wish list came back featuring a host of high profile names, it was left to the school prefects to make sure no-one was disappointed.
Thanks to some creative costumes, The Queen, David Cameron, Bradley Wiggins and Harry Potter among others were on hand to perform the important ribbon cut.
You may also want to watch:
Head teacher Mark Hederson said: “We are sure that this new Ashlings building will make their learning exciting, fun and fulfilling.
“It’ll be a place where they will be safe and happy and we want people in the area to know that we are where and how good we are.”
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 6 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
The new unit has been largely paid for by the school itself, with some funding from Devon County Council.
Mr Henderson added: “It’s taken a while to get to this stage. Amalgamating the nursery and reception into one has taken a lot of thought and patience. Massive thanks to all the staff who have helped.”