Starlet, 15, will switch on lights
Dionne Bromfield to headline Barnstaple’s annual Christmas lights switch-on
ORGANISERS of Barnstaple’s annual Christmas lights switch on event have announced another major musical coup for the town.
The town is set to bolster its reputation for attracting top talent when rising starlet Dionne Bromfield performs live at the event on the Square on Sunday, November 20.
The 15-year-old soul singer-songwriter has shot to fame this year with the launch of her second album and a MOBO nomination for best UK R&B/Soul act.
The young singer’s emotional tribute to her godmother, the late Amy Winehouse, was the talk of this year’s awards ceremony, which took place in Glasgow earlier this month.
You may also want to watch:
Dionne is tipped for even bigger things next year having recorded official Olympic anthem “Spinnin’ for 2012” with rapper Tinchy Stryder.
“We’re absolutely delighted that one of the UK’s rising stars has agreed to turn on the town’s Christmas lights this year,” said Barnstaple town centre manager Craig Bulley.
- 1 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 2 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 3 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 4 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 5 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 6 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 7 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 8 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 9 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 10 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
“Stars such as Joss Stone, The Saturdays, Noisettes and Newton Faulkner have already put Barnstaple at the forefront of switch on events in the South West by some distance.
“Dionne Bromfield is an extremely talented young singer and I’m sure that her performance will only enhance Barnstaple’s reputation for showcasing top musical acts.”
Dionne will headline a packed bill being organised to officially launch Barnstaple’s late night Christmas shopping schedule. A full line up – complete with a few added surprises – is expected to be announced soon.
Last year’s switch-on with multiple platinum selling singer-songwriter Newton Faulkner attracted 29,500 visitors to the town, compared with 8,500 and 9,500 the two Sundays previously.
“The events are not just about drawing large crowds of people and kick-starting the Christmas shopping,” said Mr Bulley.
“They’re about putting the town on the map and delivering a statement of intent that Barnstaple means business throughout the entire Christmas period.”
Talented young singer-songwriter Dionne Bromfield will be performing and switching on the Christmas lights in Barnstaple’s next month.