Star shines on Swimbridge again this Christmas
VILLAGERS in Swimbridge have once again erected a 26 foot shining star to oversee their Christmas celebrations. The illuminated star was put up by a host of volunteers at the weekend and can be seen smiling merrily on the village from miles around, includ
VILLAGERS in Swimbridge have once again erected a 26 foot shining star to oversee their Christmas celebrations.
The illuminated star was put up by a host of volunteers at the weekend and can be seen smiling merrily on the village from miles around, including by drivers passing along the North Devon Link Road.
The metal star was created five years ago by Swimbridge farmer John Ackland after the original wooden structure, the brainchild of the late Dave Bryant of Lightquest fame, unfortunately collapsed on its second outing.
The lighting of the star was celebrated on Sunday by rockets donated by Mike Ackland and a fire display by Simeon Day.
You may also want to watch:
Celebrations continued at the Jack Russell Inn where landlord Paul Darch warmed the hardworking star gazers with mulled wine and mince pies.
This year, to add to the celebrations, Dave Harrison has written and recorded a Christmas CD at the Swimbridge Audio Arts Studio called Shining Bright (Swimbridge Star,) sung by Sleigh Belles and The Jack Russell Revellers, led by Sharon Newnham. It is on sale at Swimbridge Post Office for �3, with all profits going to the Jubilee Hall.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 4 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 5 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 6 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 7 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 8 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale