Star shines on Swimbridge again this Christmas
VILLAGERS in Swimbridge have once again erected a 26 foot shining star to oversee their Christmas celebrations. The illuminated star was put up by a host of volunteers at the weekend and can be seen smiling merrily on the village from miles around, includ
VILLAGERS in Swimbridge have once again erected a 26 foot shining star to oversee their Christmas celebrations.
The illuminated star was put up by a host of volunteers at the weekend and can be seen smiling merrily on the village from miles around, including by drivers passing along the North Devon Link Road.
The metal star was created five years ago by Swimbridge farmer John Ackland after the original wooden structure, the brainchild of the late Dave Bryant of Lightquest fame, unfortunately collapsed on its second outing.
The lighting of the star was celebrated on Sunday by rockets donated by Mike Ackland and a fire display by Simeon Day.
You may also want to watch:
Celebrations continued at the Jack Russell Inn where landlord Paul Darch warmed the hardworking star gazers with mulled wine and mince pies.
This year, to add to the celebrations, Dave Harrison has written and recorded a Christmas CD at the Swimbridge Audio Arts Studio called Shining Bright (Swimbridge Star,) sung by Sleigh Belles and The Jack Russell Revellers, led by Sharon Newnham. It is on sale at Swimbridge Post Office for �3, with all profits going to the Jubilee Hall.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 6 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 7 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 8 Meet former Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo in Barnstaple
- 9 Barnstaple Waterstones to host first event since March 2020
- 10 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station