Star shines on Swimbridge again this Christmas
VILLAGERS in Swimbridge have once again erected a 26 foot shining star to oversee their Christmas celebrations. The illuminated star was put up by a host of volunteers at the weekend and can be seen smiling merrily on the village from miles around, includ
VILLAGERS in Swimbridge have once again erected a 26 foot shining star to oversee their Christmas celebrations.
The illuminated star was put up by a host of volunteers at the weekend and can be seen smiling merrily on the village from miles around, including by drivers passing along the North Devon Link Road.
The metal star was created five years ago by Swimbridge farmer John Ackland after the original wooden structure, the brainchild of the late Dave Bryant of Lightquest fame, unfortunately collapsed on its second outing.
The lighting of the star was celebrated on Sunday by rockets donated by Mike Ackland and a fire display by Simeon Day.
You may also want to watch:
Celebrations continued at the Jack Russell Inn where landlord Paul Darch warmed the hardworking star gazers with mulled wine and mince pies.
This year, to add to the celebrations, Dave Harrison has written and recorded a Christmas CD at the Swimbridge Audio Arts Studio called Shining Bright (Swimbridge Star,) sung by Sleigh Belles and The Jack Russell Revellers, led by Sharon Newnham. It is on sale at Swimbridge Post Office for �3, with all profits going to the Jubilee Hall.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 3 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 4 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 5 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 6 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 7 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 8 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 9 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 10 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford