St George's Day fun in Torrington
THE patron saint of England will be celebrated in style on St George s Day weekend in Great Torrington. The town Rotary Club, Torrington 1646 attraction and the Plough Arts Centre have joined forces to organise a variety of events from Friday, April 23 to
THE patron saint of England will be celebrated in style on St George's Day weekend in Great Torrington.
The town Rotary Club, Torrington 1646 attraction and the Plough Arts Centre have joined forces to organise a variety of events from Friday, April 23 to Sunday 25 in honour of the legendary dragon slaying hero.
The celebrations commence on Friday - St George's Day itself - at The Plough with an Evening of Englishness. Music, mirth and mayhem in an English vein will include stand-up comedy, Morris dancing, mummers play, gurning contest, music, a short film, a quiz and much more!
Fancy dress is optional and there will be a prize for the most eccentric. The Cafe Theatre will serve a "very English" meal before the show.
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday afternoon the gardens of Torrington 1646 heritage centre will host a range of events, activities and entertainments.
This will include 60 bikers from the Rally of Discovery who will be displaying their bikes from 12 noon-2pm, plus music, games of skill and chance and the Streetz dance crew who will be performing.
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 9 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer
- 10 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
Local charities and organisations will also be present, fundraising and contributing to the event. A Shelter Box similar to those donated by Torrington to the appeal will be on display.
A plant swap is being organised by the Torrington in Bloom Association, so those with any spare plants to exchange are welcome to go along and see what is available.
Entry to the 1646 event is �1 for adults and 50p for children.
On Saturday evening there is medieval music and dance theatre, with striking colour, masked dance and giant puppets at the plough with The Daughters of Elvin.
To finish off the weekend in eccentric style Wild Willy Barrett's Sleeping Dogz - Up Close and Periscope Cabaret Tour will be back at The Plough on Sunday at 8pm for a hilarious musical evening.
Tickets for the Plough events are available from (01805) 624624, as is are full programme for the St George themed activities. Or call Torrington 1646 on (01805) 626146 or Rotarian Tony Welch on 623714.