Funding boost for SS Freshspring
- Credit: Archant
The SS Freshspring has been given a funding boost to ensure it can reopen in ship shape.
The steamship, which is moored along Bideford Quay, has been awarded a £17,200 National Lottery Heritage Fund emergency grant to help it plan for reopening to the public following the coronavirus pandemic.
The grant will help provide The Steamship Freshspring Trust with virtual reality equipment which will allow visitors to take on a virtual tour of the ship, offering access to spaces currently unavailable due to infection risk and providing greater access to those less able.
The grant will also help support essential ship maintenance and contribute to an overhauled website.
Trust chairman John Puddy said: “This charity has achieved a great deal since it started in 2013. Major progress has been made since the ship has been based in Bideford, gaining local funding and substantial support from The Lottery Heritage Fund.
You may also want to watch:
“We are now hugely grateful for further support from the Lottery Heritage Emergency fund during these very difficult times.”
For more information about the SS Freshspring, visit www.ssfreshspring.co.uk.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 3 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 4 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 5 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 6 'Bonkers' idea led to the creation of Children's Hospice South West
- 7 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Roger McGough unveiled as Plough Poetry Prize judge
- 10 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner