Sponsored swim for Channel hopefuls
A GROUP of swimmers hoping to swim the English Channel next July are stepping up their training with a sponsored 24-mile swim later this month. The team from Bideford young people s charity Wings South West will be swimming the same distance from Dover to
A GROUP of swimmers hoping to swim the English Channel next July are stepping up their training with a sponsored 24-mile swim later this month.
The team from Bideford young people's charity Wings South West will be swimming the same distance from Dover to Calais at Skern Lodge, Appledore on Saturday, October 17 - and they are inviting supporters to come and play their part too!
The Channel in the Pool day is one of a number of events taking place during the next 11 months to help raise �50,000 for the young people's charity.
"If you enjoy swimming, whether or not you can swim one length or lots of lengths, then come and be part of the fun." said Wings youth and events worker Milly Peart.
You may also want to watch:
"While there is no age limit, lots of the day will be geared towards children and young people.
"There will be lots of swimming, drawing and colouring to make a timeline of the swim and a 'Welcome to France' party afterwards at 3pm. There will also be the chance to meet members of the Wings Big Swim team.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 3 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 6 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 7 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 8 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 9 Council leader calls Government 'incompetent' and warns of 'winter of discontent'
- 10 Mission: Unbreakable back with a bang for 2021
John Watson from Skern Lodge said he hoped to see lots of people at the event.
"Everyone can choose their own challenging distance to swim, and play their part in crossing the channel," he said.
"Wings does great work locally in developing skills and confidence in young people and we're behind them all the way in their bid to swim the English Channel."
For more information about the event, telephone Milly Peart on (01237) 472000 or email on email@example.com. Registration forms will be available from Wings South West, Lower Meddon Street, Monday to Friday 9am-12noon.