Sponsored swim for Channel hopefuls
A GROUP of swimmers hoping to swim the English Channel next July are stepping up their training with a sponsored 24-mile swim later this month. The team from Bideford young people s charity Wings South West will be swimming the same distance from Dover to
A GROUP of swimmers hoping to swim the English Channel next July are stepping up their training with a sponsored 24-mile swim later this month.
The team from Bideford young people's charity Wings South West will be swimming the same distance from Dover to Calais at Skern Lodge, Appledore on Saturday, October 17 - and they are inviting supporters to come and play their part too!
The Channel in the Pool day is one of a number of events taking place during the next 11 months to help raise �50,000 for the young people's charity.
"If you enjoy swimming, whether or not you can swim one length or lots of lengths, then come and be part of the fun." said Wings youth and events worker Milly Peart.
"While there is no age limit, lots of the day will be geared towards children and young people.
"There will be lots of swimming, drawing and colouring to make a timeline of the swim and a 'Welcome to France' party afterwards at 3pm. There will also be the chance to meet members of the Wings Big Swim team.
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 6 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 7 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 8 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 9 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
- 10 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
John Watson from Skern Lodge said he hoped to see lots of people at the event.
"Everyone can choose their own challenging distance to swim, and play their part in crossing the channel," he said.
"Wings does great work locally in developing skills and confidence in young people and we're behind them all the way in their bid to swim the English Channel."
For more information about the event, telephone Milly Peart on (01237) 472000 or email on firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration forms will be available from Wings South West, Lower Meddon Street, Monday to Friday 9am-12noon.