Sponsored swim for Channel hopefuls
A GROUP of swimmers hoping to swim the English Channel next July are stepping up their training with a sponsored 24-mile swim later this month. The team from Bideford young people s charity Wings South West will be swimming the same distance from Dover to
A GROUP of swimmers hoping to swim the English Channel next July are stepping up their training with a sponsored 24-mile swim later this month.
The team from Bideford young people's charity Wings South West will be swimming the same distance from Dover to Calais at Skern Lodge, Appledore on Saturday, October 17 - and they are inviting supporters to come and play their part too!
The Channel in the Pool day is one of a number of events taking place during the next 11 months to help raise �50,000 for the young people's charity.
"If you enjoy swimming, whether or not you can swim one length or lots of lengths, then come and be part of the fun." said Wings youth and events worker Milly Peart.
You may also want to watch:
"While there is no age limit, lots of the day will be geared towards children and young people.
"There will be lots of swimming, drawing and colouring to make a timeline of the swim and a 'Welcome to France' party afterwards at 3pm. There will also be the chance to meet members of the Wings Big Swim team.
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 3 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 4 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 5 High Streets reopen across Torridge
- 6 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
- 7 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 8 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 9 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 10 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
John Watson from Skern Lodge said he hoped to see lots of people at the event.
"Everyone can choose their own challenging distance to swim, and play their part in crossing the channel," he said.
"Wings does great work locally in developing skills and confidence in young people and we're behind them all the way in their bid to swim the English Channel."
For more information about the event, telephone Milly Peart on (01237) 472000 or email on firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration forms will be available from Wings South West, Lower Meddon Street, Monday to Friday 9am-12noon.