Spider rescued by fire fighters
- Credit: Archant
Close encounter of the eight-legged kind after fire crews tackle a blaze at South Molton.
A pet spider and a cat were rescued by fire crews from a blaze at South Molton this afternoon (Friday).
Fire engines from South Molton, Barnstaple and Lynton were called out around noon to a two storey house at West Yarde after a fire broke out in a double garage at the property.
The garage was well alight and flames had spread into the floorboards of the main house above, forcing fire fighters to strip away the garage roof.
Crews wore breathing apparatus and used hose reel jets to tackle the fire and to cool a nearby gas storage container.
You may also want to watch:
Everyone inside the house escaped unharmed, including the family’s pet cat and spider, thought to be a tarantula, which fire fighters rescued from the property.
The fire service was able to leave the scene after three hours, at 3.36pm, but said crews would return later today to check for hot spots.
- 1 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 5 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 8 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 9 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 10 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
* Was this your home? We’d like to hear from you about the frightening incident and how everyone was able to make it to safety. Contact our news team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01271 345056.