Spider rescued by fire fighters
- Credit: Archant
Close encounter of the eight-legged kind after fire crews tackle a blaze at South Molton.
A pet spider and a cat were rescued by fire crews from a blaze at South Molton this afternoon (Friday).
Fire engines from South Molton, Barnstaple and Lynton were called out around noon to a two storey house at West Yarde after a fire broke out in a double garage at the property.
The garage was well alight and flames had spread into the floorboards of the main house above, forcing fire fighters to strip away the garage roof.
Crews wore breathing apparatus and used hose reel jets to tackle the fire and to cool a nearby gas storage container.
You may also want to watch:
Everyone inside the house escaped unharmed, including the family’s pet cat and spider, thought to be a tarantula, which fire fighters rescued from the property.
The fire service was able to leave the scene after three hours, at 3.36pm, but said crews would return later today to check for hot spots.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 10 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
* Was this your home? We’d like to hear from you about the frightening incident and how everyone was able to make it to safety. Contact our news team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01271 345056.