Spectacular carnival brings Bideford quayside to life
THOUSANDS of people lined Bideford Quay yesterday (Saturday) to welcome hundreds of colourful characters taking part in this year s carnival. Crowds watched a procession featuring dozens of brightly decorated four seasons-themed floats representing loca
THOUSANDS of people lined Bideford Quay yesterday (Saturday) to welcome hundreds of colourful characters taking part in this year's carnival.
Crowds watched a procession featuring dozens of brightly decorated "four seasons-themed" floats representing local schools and youth groups. They were also treated to displays by various local majorette troops and a lively performance by Torrington's Streetz Dance Crew.
Bideford carnival queen Nicole Luongo, 14, attendants Pia Short-Luongo, 12, and Sophie Timbrell-Hancocks, 14, carnival princess Amy Curtis, 9, and flower girl Emily Glover, 10, were joined by Holsworthy's fairy princess as well as Bude's carnival royalty.
And bringing a taste of the Highlands to Devon, the Massed Pipes and Drums were back in Bideford for another spectacular display.
You may also want to watch:
Hundreds of pipers and drummers put on a rousing performance along the quayside in what is thought to be the biggest gathering of pipers and drummers in the South West of England.
The fun ended with a spectacular firework display.
- 1 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 4 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
For the full story and pictures, read Wednesday's North Devon Gazette.