Spectacular carnival brings Bideford quayside to life
THOUSANDS of people lined Bideford Quay yesterday (Saturday) to welcome hundreds of colourful characters taking part in this year s carnival. Crowds watched a procession featuring dozens of brightly decorated four seasons-themed floats representing loca
THOUSANDS of people lined Bideford Quay yesterday (Saturday) to welcome hundreds of colourful characters taking part in this year's carnival.
Crowds watched a procession featuring dozens of brightly decorated "four seasons-themed" floats representing local schools and youth groups. They were also treated to displays by various local majorette troops and a lively performance by Torrington's Streetz Dance Crew.
Bideford carnival queen Nicole Luongo, 14, attendants Pia Short-Luongo, 12, and Sophie Timbrell-Hancocks, 14, carnival princess Amy Curtis, 9, and flower girl Emily Glover, 10, were joined by Holsworthy's fairy princess as well as Bude's carnival royalty.
And bringing a taste of the Highlands to Devon, the Massed Pipes and Drums were back in Bideford for another spectacular display.
Hundreds of pipers and drummers put on a rousing performance along the quayside in what is thought to be the biggest gathering of pipers and drummers in the South West of England.
The fun ended with a spectacular firework display.
- 1 OPINION: A new plan for Barnstaple's Oliver Buildings - Tim Jones
- 2 PICTURES: Bideford Christmas lights switched on in style
- 3 Property of the Week: Daddon Close, Bideford
- 4 Litter around North Devon schools and colleges is a 'disgrace'
- 5 Kenwith Castle care home welcomes new manager
- 6 OPINION: How much do you know about the ground beneath your feet?
- 7 Downing Street party video: Boris Johnson apologises but denies allegations
- 8 North Devon’s Panto sells 10,000 Cinderella tickets
- 9 OPINION: Give back this festive season at the Wave Project Christmas markets
- 10 Christmas lights, free parking and late night shopping in Barnstaple
For the full story and pictures, read Wednesday's North Devon Gazette.