Spectacular carnival brings Bideford quayside to life
THOUSANDS of people lined Bideford Quay yesterday (Saturday) to welcome hundreds of colourful characters taking part in this year s carnival. Crowds watched a procession featuring dozens of brightly decorated four seasons-themed floats representing loca
THOUSANDS of people lined Bideford Quay yesterday (Saturday) to welcome hundreds of colourful characters taking part in this year's carnival.
Crowds watched a procession featuring dozens of brightly decorated "four seasons-themed" floats representing local schools and youth groups. They were also treated to displays by various local majorette troops and a lively performance by Torrington's Streetz Dance Crew.
Bideford carnival queen Nicole Luongo, 14, attendants Pia Short-Luongo, 12, and Sophie Timbrell-Hancocks, 14, carnival princess Amy Curtis, 9, and flower girl Emily Glover, 10, were joined by Holsworthy's fairy princess as well as Bude's carnival royalty.
And bringing a taste of the Highlands to Devon, the Massed Pipes and Drums were back in Bideford for another spectacular display.
You may also want to watch:
Hundreds of pipers and drummers put on a rousing performance along the quayside in what is thought to be the biggest gathering of pipers and drummers in the South West of England.
The fun ended with a spectacular firework display.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 4 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 5 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 6 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 9 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 10 Football league teams up with Northern Devon Foodbank
For the full story and pictures, read Wednesday's North Devon Gazette.