Special qualifications for North Devon teachers
THREE North Devon teachers were among 24 from across the county who were presented with their new qualifications to help children who have most difficulties with reading and mathematics. Half were presented with their accreditation for the Numbers Count p
THREE North Devon teachers were among 24 from across the county who were presented with their new qualifications to help children who have most difficulties with reading and mathematics.
Half were presented with their accreditation for the Numbers Count programme and the others received their Reading Recovery qualifications, all after intensive training programmes.
Among the newly accredited Numbers Count teachers were Maggie Keene of Sticklepath, Barnstaple and Georgia Newman of Ilfracombe Infants and Nursery.
Judy Grimwood of Orchard Vale, Barnstaple, gained accreditation as a Reading Recovery teacher.
You may also want to watch:
The presentations were made by Devon's Director of Learning and Schools, Judith Johnson, at a special ceremony at the Tiverton Hotel.
There are already 18 Devon primary schools operating the Numbers Count programme, which is part of the national Every Child Counts initiative.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 3 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 4 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 5 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 6 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 7 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 8 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
From September they will be joined by more, including Appledore and Torrington Infant and Nursery.
Reading Recovery is part of the national Every Child a Reader programme which children take at the end of the first year of school. Two hundred Devon children were supported in 26 schools in the past year, including Sticklepath, Barnstaple; Ashleigh, Barnstaple; Lynton; Woolacombe; and Great Torrington Infants.
This year another 14 schools are joining the programme, among them Yeo Valley and Our Lady's, Barnstaple; St Mary's, Bideford; Ilfracombe Infants; Southmead, Braunton;Goodleigh; Bratton Fleming; Chittlehampton and Filleigh.