Special guest to open Braunton Village Fair
THE traditional Braunton Village Fair this bank holiday Monday will be officially opened by inspirational local youngster Lydia Cross.
The free event at the village Recreation Ground in Exeter Road will open at 12.30pm and there will be packed with fun and activities for all ages, together with stalls to browse.
Events include a junior obstacle course, mini soccer competitions with finals for the under nines and 10s, a display field gun race by Barnstaple Sea Cadets, racing ferrets and a tug-of-war. There will be a fancy dress competition supported by the Ilfracombe Victorians.
Guest of honour Lydia is well known in Braunton and across North Devon. Despite losing both legs to meningitis she has since gone on to raise thousands for charity, notably Help for Heroes. Her example has earned her Pride of Britain and Rotary Young Citizen awards.
The Fair is jointly organised by Braunton Rotary Club and the newly formed Rotary Club of Braunton Caen. Funds raised will be split between the BBC Radio Devon Air Ambulance Appeal and Shelterbox.
You may also want to watch:
Admission is free but raffle tickets will be sold and donations welcomed. Refreshments will be available and a grand draw will wrap up proceedings around 5pm.
- 1 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 2 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 3 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 4 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 7 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 8 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened