Spate of thefts from cars in Ilfracombe

ndg-police-2013---7--wk50

- Credit: Archant

Police warn motorists and homeowners to lock up cars and sheds after a string of ‘opportunist’ thefts during the past month.

POLICE have appealed for information after a spate of thefts from vehicles in the town during the past month.

Between November 1 and December 5, 13 were reported, together with thefts from sheds, garages and a caravan, with goods stolen ranging from power tools and sporting equipment to wallets and purses containing cash and bank cards.

Examples include thieves gaining entry to a Ford Transit at Torrs Walk Avenue overnight on Monday and Tuesday, November 25-26, taking a wallet containing bank cards, cash, driving licence and personal effects. The same night, a purse was taken from a Vauxhall Astra at Westbourne Grove.

Sergeant Paul Jones said the thefts were predominantly overnight and in some cases the vehicles or outbuildings had been left insecure.


You may also want to watch:


“North Devon has relatively low crime and it’s possible that people can become complacent, so we would remind everyone to secure their property,” he said.

PCSO Peter Hyde at Ilfracombe said there were several steps people could take to protect their property, but the most important one was to ensure it was locked up.

Most Read

“If anyone would like advice on crime prevention, please do contact me at Ilfracombe Police Station via the 101 number,” he added.

Anyone who has seen anything suspicious or has any information is asked to contact PCSO Hyde.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus