South Molton youth centre work starts soon
A contractor will be appointed soon to build the long-awaited new youth centre for South Molton. Work could start on the site in a couple of weeks. The project is a partnership between Devon County Council, North Devon Council, South Molton Town Council w
A contractor will be appointed soon to build the long-awaited new youth centre for South Molton. Work could start on the site in a couple of weeks.
The project is a partnership between Devon County Council, North Devon Council, South Molton Town Council which has donated the land, and young people in the South Molton area, who have raised more than �74,000 through successful funding bids; along with significant support from the community.
The Council's Youth Service will be working with the young people who have contributed to the scheme already, and setting up a youth committee to explore the types of programmes the centre will provide and opening times.
It is planned that structured social educational activities will take place and there will be opportunities for volunteering.
You may also want to watch:
Activities in the centre will include sports and games, art, music and drama during evenings, weekends and holidays. The centre will also act as a base for outreach and street-based youth services.
Devon County Council's Cabinet Member for Children's Health and Wellbeing, Councillor Andrea Davis, said: "This is a huge step towards completion of a long-awaited facility which will provide a focal point to the South Molton community, and particularly young people.
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 3 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 4 High Streets reopen across Torridge
- 5 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 6 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
- 7 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 8 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 9 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 10 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
"The new centre is a great legacy of the partnership between local authorities and the local community, which I hope will benefit generations to come.