South Molton youth centre work starts soon
A contractor will be appointed soon to build the long-awaited new youth centre for South Molton. Work could start on the site in a couple of weeks. The project is a partnership between Devon County Council, North Devon Council, South Molton Town Council w
A contractor will be appointed soon to build the long-awaited new youth centre for South Molton. Work could start on the site in a couple of weeks.
The project is a partnership between Devon County Council, North Devon Council, South Molton Town Council which has donated the land, and young people in the South Molton area, who have raised more than �74,000 through successful funding bids; along with significant support from the community.
The Council's Youth Service will be working with the young people who have contributed to the scheme already, and setting up a youth committee to explore the types of programmes the centre will provide and opening times.
It is planned that structured social educational activities will take place and there will be opportunities for volunteering.
You may also want to watch:
Activities in the centre will include sports and games, art, music and drama during evenings, weekends and holidays. The centre will also act as a base for outreach and street-based youth services.
Devon County Council's Cabinet Member for Children's Health and Wellbeing, Councillor Andrea Davis, said: "This is a huge step towards completion of a long-awaited facility which will provide a focal point to the South Molton community, and particularly young people.
- 1 Speeding driver facing jail after 'web of lies'
- 2 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 3 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 6 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 9 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 10 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
"The new centre is a great legacy of the partnership between local authorities and the local community, which I hope will benefit generations to come.