South Molton windfarm inquiry ends
CLOSING statements have been heard at a public inquiry into two proposed wind farm developments near South Molton. The inquiry, which started in June, relates to a proposal for nine 105-metre high wind turbines submitted to North Devon Council at Three Mo
CLOSING statements have been heard at a public inquiry into two proposed wind farm developments near South Molton.
The inquiry, which started in June, relates to a proposal for nine 105-metre high wind turbines submitted to North Devon Council at Three Moors in Knowstone, and to a second proposal for four 100-metre turbines at Bickham Moor in Oakford, submitted to Mid Devon District Council.
The proposals were originally rejected by local planning committees and developers Airtricity and Coronation Power have appealed to the Planning Inspectorate to overturn these local decisions.
The evidence presented covered a range of aspects including efficiency, noise, as well as the impact on the Exmoor landscape and tourism.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking at the final one-day hearing at Tiverton Town Hall on Tuesday, opponents from the Rural Exmoor Alliance, which comprises the Campaign to Protect Rural England (Devon), the Exmoor Society and the Two Moors Campaign said the turbines would come at "a terrible cost to the landscape".
Planning Inspector Philip Major is expected make a final decision on the proposals in the New Year.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 5 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 6 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 7 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 10 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land