A coroner has warned of the dangers of drugs after a 16-year-old boy died from taking an unknown amount of MDMA pills.

Luke Campbell-Tapson was found to have high levels of the drug in his blood after he died in the early hours of May 27 last year.

An inquest today (Friday) heard the South Molton pupil took an unknown number of pills and then collapsed on the dancefloor at the former VIVID nightclub in Ilfracombe, just after midnight.

He was taken outside by door staff manning the youth disco event and an ambulance attended, blue-lighting him to hospital. At A&E he went into cardiac arrest several times and was given CPR.

Despite medical staff's best efforts to save him, Luke died at 5.15am that morning. A post-mortem said the cause of his death was the toxic effects of MDMA.

Luke Campbell-Tapson had been on a night out with friends.Luke Campbell-Tapson had been on a night out with friends.

Police investigating the incident initially arrested another youth after reports Luke had been punched, but these charges were dropped when it was found the person who reported them had not witnessed the punch, as they initially claimed.

Two teenagers were later charged and pleaded guilty to drug supply charges, but were spared from jail at the wish of Luke's family.

In her conclusion today, assistant coroner Lydia Brown recorded the cause of Luke's 'tragic' death as drug-related.

She said there was no evidence Luke had been assaulted, that is symptoms were consistent with MDMA toxicity, and that it was understood he had previously taken the drug before.

Ms Brown said to the family: "I'm sure an awful lot of people were touched by your tragedy and this tragic loss of a young life by a random and unpredictable turn of events.

She added: "We all need to try and work so much harder to deal with drugs, in particular with the younger population."

Luke's parents, sister, aunts, uncles, grandmother and friends packed the courtroom at South Molton Town Hall.

Speaking after the conclusion was given, Luke's mother Claire Campbell paid an emotional tribute to those who had tried to save her son's life.

She also thanked the police for their help in investigating and supporting the family.

She added: "To Luke's family and friends and our wonderful community of South Molton who continue to love and support Esther (Luke's sister) and myself, and continue to love and remember our boy Luke, I can't thank you enough."