South Molton supermarket to open tomorrow
A NEW supermarket will open its doors to shoppers – and 33 new members of staff – in South Molton tomorrow (Wednesday). The new positions have been created alongside staff who have transferred from the former Somerfield after Sainsbury s bought the New Ro
A NEW supermarket will open its doors to shoppers - and 33 new members of staff - in South Molton tomorrow (Wednesday).
The new positions have been created alongside staff who have transferred from the former Somerfield after Sainsbury's bought the New Road store from owners the Co-operative Group in June this year.
The supermarket closed in August to undergo an extensive refit and re-branding and will be officially opened by long-serving colleague Libby Bale at 8.45am.
Libby is a familiar face in South Molton, having spent more than 30 years working in the store when it was a Somerfield.
She said: "I'm delighted to be asked to open the new store and that my time as a colleague has been recognised like this. I can't wait to start working with the new team at Sainsbury's."
The 10,000 sq ft store has a bakery, a cash machine and four self-scan checkouts for customers with only a few items.
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 4 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 5 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 6 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 7 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 8 Exercise the 'chuckle muscle' with comedian Jason Manford
- 9 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 10 Chance at last to sing along with the Winkleigh Singers
Doors will open at 9am and the first customer in store will be presented with a bouquet of flowers by store manager John Lambert.
Mr Lambert said: "We're proud of our new store but the best part of opening is getting to know the local community.
"It's been great meeting new people and we're looking forward to making a positive difference here. We've already started this process by selecting the North Devon hospice as our charity of the year.
"Now we're open, we'll be organising fundraising events and looking at how we can volunteer our time to support the hospice.