South Molton supermarket decision 'imminent'
NORTH Devon Councillors are set to make a "major" decision about the future of South Molton's Central Car Park area at a meeting next week.On Tuesday, the council's Executive committee will be asked to decide which supermarket - Tesco, Morrisons or Sainsbury's
NORTH Devon Councillors are set to make a "major" decision about the future of South Molton's Central Car Park area at a meeting next week.
On Tuesday, the council's Executive committee will be asked to decide which supermarket - Tesco, Morrisons or Sainsbury's - will be invited to re-develop the key site in the town.
Although Sainsbury's last month announced it intends to re-vamp the town's existing Somerfield store, representatives of the firm have recently met with South Molton town councillors to express their interest in building a bigger store on the cattle market site.
North Devon Council executive director Steve Pitcher told the Gazette that members would have a series of choices to make at the meeting but was confident that there was now sufficient information "on the table" to enable councillors to make a decision on which store should come to the town.
You may also want to watch:
"Three major players have expresses an interest in coming to South Molton and this can only be good news for the town," he said.
- 1 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 2 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 3 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 4 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 5 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 6 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 7 Sextortion warning for North Devon Facebook users
- 8 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
- 9 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 10 I lost eight stone and an extreme risk of diabetes