South Molton supermarket decision 'imminent'
NORTH Devon Councillors are set to make a "major" decision about the future of South Molton's Central Car Park area at a meeting next week.On Tuesday, the council's Executive committee will be asked to decide which supermarket - Tesco, Morrisons or Sainsbury's
NORTH Devon Councillors are set to make a "major" decision about the future of South Molton's Central Car Park area at a meeting next week.
On Tuesday, the council's Executive committee will be asked to decide which supermarket - Tesco, Morrisons or Sainsbury's - will be invited to re-develop the key site in the town.
Although Sainsbury's last month announced it intends to re-vamp the town's existing Somerfield store, representatives of the firm have recently met with South Molton town councillors to express their interest in building a bigger store on the cattle market site.
North Devon Council executive director Steve Pitcher told the Gazette that members would have a series of choices to make at the meeting but was confident that there was now sufficient information "on the table" to enable councillors to make a decision on which store should come to the town.
You may also want to watch:
"Three major players have expresses an interest in coming to South Molton and this can only be good news for the town," he said.
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 3 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 4 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 5 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 6 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 7 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 8 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 9 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising