South Molton soldiers off the Afghanistan
TERRITORIAL Army soldiers from South Molton will be among those flying the flag for North Devon in Afghanistan in the New Year.
TERRITORIAL Army soldiers from South Molton will be among those flying the flag for North Devon in Afghanistan in the New Year. Three volunteer soldiers from the town will be part of a team of 11 from D Squadron Royal Wessex Yeomanry expected to start their deployment next May.
Trooper Joseph Hoar, 20, Sergeant Paul Hackman, 27, and Lance Corporal Alex Ingleton, 26, will join Cpl Stephen Utley, from Bideford and Tpr John Foskett for two weeks of "beat up" training at the regimental headquarters in Bovington, Dorset on January 4. They will then head to Chilwell in Nottinghamshire for a period of intense training designed get the soldiers up to regular army standard before they start deployment training in the spring.
While there, they will undergo Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) training, battlefield first aid, radio training, weapons handling and fitness and medical tests.
The lads from the Barnstaple-based troop will join colleagues from the D Squadron troop in Paignton as well as further 25 other TA soldiers the Royal Wessex Yeomanry's A, B and C Squadrons.
You may also want to watch:
Captain Clive Pearce, who is based in Barnstaple, said he was proud with what the squadron was doing to assist the war effort in Afghanistan. He said:
"D Squadron has supplied quite a few soldiers over the years and I'm delighted that we can continue to help make a difference. "TA soldiers train hard for exactly this type of deployment and while in Afghanistan, they will form an individual unit assigned with carrying out their own specialist job.
- 1 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 5 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 6 Northam Murder: Expert says trail of clues link carer to the scene
- 7 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 8 Plan to replace old North Devon Leisure Centre with housing submitted
- 9 Stars taking part in the Queen's Theatre's 2021 pantomime announced
- 10 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer