South Molton newspaper delivery lady dies
Tributes paid to former Gazette distribution supervisor Una.
A SOUTH Molton newspaper distributor who employed hundreds of newspaper boys and girls in the town has died at the age of 77.
Una White helped organise delivery of the North Devon Gazette come rain or shine for nearly 20 years.
She died peacefully at home following a short illness on Sunday, March 18.
Una was born in North Molton in 1934 and went to school in the village before moving on to the grammar school in Barnstaple.
You may also want to watch:
After school, she worked in a netting factory at Cooks Cross and was also a supervisor at an electronics firm.
Una and husband Dennis, 79, built their house together in Jury Park in 1975 and began co-ordinating the newspaper delivery rounds for the town and surrounding areas in the mid 1990s.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
- 8 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
Dennis said: “It was a weekly job that Una used to look forward to. She used to like sorting out the leaflets and when she was fit she used to deliver a round herself on the Pathfields Industrial Estate.”
Son Michael added: “She made a lot of friends doing it and there will be a lot of ex-paper boys and girls in the town who will remember her.”
Una and Dennis, teenage sweethearts from North Molton, enjoyed caravan holidays in the UK and France. Una also enjoyed social get-togethers with the town’s Young at Heart Club.
Granddaughter Samantha Clarke brought forward her wedding to James after her nan’s illness was diagnosed in November. “We arranged it all in just three weeks and were married two days before Christmas,” said Samantha.
Una will also be sadly missed by grandsons Ashley and James, and great-grandsons Toby and Jayden.
Pat Smith, circulation manager for the North Devon Gazette, said: “It has been an absolute pleasure to know and work with Una, a lovely lady who knew if and when to get tough.
“Myself, Sonia and Jon will miss her and our heartfelt sympathies go to Dennis and the family.”
A funeral service was held at St Mary Magdalene Church, South Molton, on Wednesday.